all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Lock buffer to window
@ 2006-09-08  7:16 henning
From: henning @ 2006-09-08  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using dired or rdired (from ESS) I sometimes want to keep a buffer in a
certain window. However, commands such as e.g. 'man' might change the buffer
in that window. Is there a way to dedicate a window to a particular buffer
so that that window becomes invisible to commands that request a window for
showing output? calculator is another such example where I obviously dont
want the man page to show up in the tiny window created by the calculator
command.

Thanks for any tips,

Henning
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: Lock buffer to window
       [not found] <mailman.6613.1157699819.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-08  7:56 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-09-08  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

henning <henning.red@googlemail.com> writes:

> When using dired or rdired (from ESS) I sometimes want to keep a
> buffer in a certain window. However, commands such as e.g. 'man'
> might change the buffer in that window. Is there a way to dedicate a
> window to a particular buffer so that that window becomes invisible
> to commands that request a window for showing output? calculator is
> another such example where I obviously dont want the man page to
> show up in the tiny window created by the calculator command.

This doesn't solve the problem in the exact way you want, but you
might want to try it out anyway:

Try this:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      (append special-display-buffer-names (list "*Help*")))

Then use any of the help commands, `C-h f' for example. Notice how the
*Help* buffer opens in a new frame instead of splitting the current
window.

If you want to do more advanced matching of buffer names, try
`special-display-regexps' instead.

* Re: Lock buffer to window
@ 2006-09-08  8:00   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-09-08  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> If you want to do more advanced matching of buffer names, try
> `special-display-regexps' instead.

While I'm at it I could as well give you an advanced example of this:

(setq
 special-display-regexps
 (list (list "jabber-chat"
             '(width . 80)
             '(scroll-bar-width . 16)
             '(height . 15)
             '(tool-bar-lines . 0)
             '(menu-bar-lines 0)
             '(left . 80)
             '(top . 120)
             '(icon-type . "h:/dat/gfx/ico/jabber_bulb_small.ico")
             (cons 'font
                   (if (memq window-system '(win32 w32))
                       "-GURSoutline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-11-82-96-96-c-70-iso8859-1"
                     "-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--14-130-75-75-C-70-ISO8859-1")))))

The above will make all buffers matching "jabber-chat" open up in a
new frame with the specified frame properties. Quite cool.

* Re: Lock buffer to window
@ 2006-09-11  7:23   ` henning
From: henning @ 2006-09-11  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, but you are right, its not really what I want to do, I would like to
force a window to show current buffer and not switch buffer until I
explicitly say so. I have been trying to implement this but it was harder
than I had imagined. Maybe I can get by with what you suggested though.

Cheers,

@ 2006-09-11 12:28 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-09-11 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Did you try `set-window-dedicated-p'?

* Lock buffer to window
@ 2007-05-23 19:14 Nikolaj Fogh
       [not found] ` <mailman.1165.1180017190.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Fogh @ 2007-05-23 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any way of locking a specific buffer to a
window it emacs, so that that window never changes buffer. I have some
trouble when I edit a LaTeX document and compile it, the compilation
buffer overrides my reftex-toc buffer.

thanks,
   Nikolaj Fogh

* Re: Lock buffer to window
       [not found] ` <mailman.1165.1180017190.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-24 14:05   ` Nikolaj Fogh
From: Nikolaj Fogh @ 2007-05-24 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> Nikolaj Fogh <nikolajfogh@gmail.com> wrote
>

>>I was wondering if there was any way of locking a specific buffer to a
>>window it emacs, so that that window never changes buffer.
>

> Hello Nikolaj,
>

> try adding the following to your .emacs:
>
> (define-minor-mode sticky-buffer-mode
>   "Make the current window always display this buffer."
>   nil " sticky" nil
>   (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) sticky-buffer-mode))
>
> then M-x sticky-buffer-mode.
>

> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Thanks a lot. That was just what I was looking for.

* Re: Lock buffer to window
       [not found] ` <mailman.1165.1180017190.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-24 14:32 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-05-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Fogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-05-24 21:45   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-24 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, nikolajfogh

   Nikolaj Fogh <nikolajfogh@gmail.com> wrote

   > I was wondering if there was any way of locking a specific buffer to a
   > window it emacs, so that that window never changes buffer.

   then M-x sticky-buffer-mode.

Very interesting ! Thank you very much. I did not understand what
the OP wanted to do in fact :)

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Lock buffer to window
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-24 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Fogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Hi,

   I was wondering if there was any way of locking a specific buffer to a
   window it emacs, so that that window never changes buffer. I have some
   trouble when I edit a LaTeX document and compile it, the compilation
   buffer overrides my reftex-toc buffer.

If you want to do this interactively, you would use
`toggle-read-only' bound to C-x C-q.

If you want to do this programmatically, you could
`buffer-read-only' variable this way:

     (let ((buffer-read-only nil)
          )
     (message "Buffer is read/write"))