all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ediff problem with accents
@ 2006-09-12 20:32 Sébastien Vauban
       [not found] ` <mailman.6839.1158097004.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2006-09-12 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Since recently (new PC installation, in fact), I've got a weird
trouble whose I can't understand the roots of. It's over the
behavior of ediff.

I've always used ediff without any problem. That great tool
always helped me re-reading the changes I've made before
committing and logging a sensible comment.

Now, I can't really used it anymore, as it sees every accent as
being a difference between the source and the modified file...

Here's an example:

    ,----[ Source buffer ]

    |----[ Modified buffer ]
    | Ce document présente le détail des modifications apportées...
    | Maintenant.
    `----

Needless to say that it becomes heavily difficult to distinguish
the real modifications (`Avant' -> `Maintenant') from the "false
positives" (`présente' -> `présente').

Note that this problem only occurs with ediff, not at all with
diff (that only spots the real modifications).

Any help?

Thank you very much,
  Seb

--