all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclientw -c not working on windows (emacs-23.1)
@ 2009-08-26 23:20 amicitas
From: amicitas @ 2009-08-26 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I cannot get "emacsclientw -c" to work on windows XP.

I am using emacs-23.1
ALTERNATE_EDITOR = runemacs.exe
.emacs contains (server-start)

If emacs is not running, then using "emacsclientw -c" starts emacs as
expected.
If emacs is already running then nothing happens.

If I use the command "emacscilentw file" then file is opened in an
existing frame.
If I add "-c" nothing happens, the file is not opened.
If I add "-c -n" then the file is opened in an existing frame instead
of a new frame.

If I open up a windows command prompt and type "emacscilent -c" I get
the following error:

*ERROR*: Not using an ASCII terminal now; cannot make a new ASCII
frame

If however I use an xterm window (cygwin) to start the commands, then
both emacsclient and emacsclientw both work as expected.  Note that
this is a normal windows installation of emacs, NOT a cygwin
installation.

Any ideas whats going on or how to fix this?

-- amicitas

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-08-26 23:20 UTC | newest]