all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* recompile uses wrong buffer
@ 2004-06-03  6:37 Stephan Stahl
From: Stephan Stahl @ 2004-06-03  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

Hi.

(Stefan i CCed you because you seem to know compile.el very well :)

M-x recompile from cvs emacs only uses *compile*, *grep*, ... buffers.

I often use M-x compile, M-x rename-uniquely, M-x compile, M-x
rename-uniquely to be able to (re)recompile two things. With cvs emacs
that does no longer work right. M-x recompile in one of those buffers does
not recompile in that buffer but creates a new (or reuses) *compile*
Buffer. For grep it does so with the *grep* buffer. I am not sure what
other modes are affected too.

This differs from emacs 21.3 behavior and seems wrong too.

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl

* Re: recompile uses wrong buffer
@ 2004-06-04  1:22 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-06-04  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

"Stephan Stahl" <stahl@eos.franken.de> writes:
> M-x recompile from cvs emacs only uses *compile*, *grep*, ... buffers.
>
> I often use M-x compile, M-x rename-uniquely, M-x compile, M-x
> rename-uniquely to be able to (re)recompile two things. With cvs emacs
> that does no longer work right. M-x recompile in one of those buffers does
> not recompile in that buffer but creates a new (or reuses) *compile*
> Buffer. For grep it does so with the *grep* buffer. I am not sure what
> other modes are affected too.
>
> This differs from emacs 21.3 behavior and seems wrong too.

I have been using the new behavior for a while, and can confirm that
it is inconvenient.  It would be more natural if calling `compile' or
`grep' reused the same buffer where they were called, because when
called on the compile/grep buffer these commands are perceived as
commands which operate on the current buffer rather than as commands
which create a new buffer.  And users who want to start compilation
in a new buffer, can do it from any buffer not in compilation mode.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: recompile uses wrong buffer
@ 2004-06-04  2:04 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-06-04  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

    I often use M-x compile, M-x rename-uniquely, M-x compile, M-x
    rename-uniquely to be able to (re)recompile two things. With cvs emacs
    that does no longer work right. M-x recompile in one of those buffers does
    not recompile in that buffer but creates a new (or reuses) *compile*
    Buffer.

I am having trouble following the last sentence.  Could you state
more precisely what you do, and what behavior you observe?
I might agree it is wrong, but right now I'm not sure what it is,
hence no opinion yet.

* Re: recompile uses wrong buffer
@ 2004-06-04  8:17   ` Stephan Stahl
From: Stephan Stahl @ 2004-06-04  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stephan Stahl, monnier, emacs-devel

Hi.

Richard Stallman said:
> I am having trouble following the last sentence.  Could you state
> more precisely what you do, and what behavior you observe?
> I might agree it is wrong, but right now I'm not sure what it is,
> hence no opinion yet.

Yes of course.
I often have to compile two things. Until now i did that by M-x compile
"thing a", then M-x rename-uniquely to have a buffer *compilation*<2> and
then again did M-x compile "thing b", M-x rename-uniquely to have a buffer
*compilation*<3>. Then i could change the code in a, go to buffer
*compilation*<2> and do M-x recompile and it got recompiled in buffer
*compilation*<2>. The same with b and *compilation*<3>.
With the recent compile.el however when i do M-x recompile in either
buffer <2> or <3> it creates a new buffer *compilation* and works in that
buffer. recompile compiles the right thing (a for 2 , b for 3) but that
extra buffer should not be there. nor can i recompile both a and b in
parallel because recompile uses the same *compile* buffer for that.

Hope this helps to understand my sitiuation, just ask if not :).
--

@ 2004-06-05 13:48     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-06-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: stahl, monnier, emacs-devel

    I often have to compile two things. Until now i did that by M-x compile
    "thing a", then M-x rename-uniquely to have a buffer *compilation*<2> and
    then again did M-x compile "thing b", M-x rename-uniquely to have a buffer
    *compilation*<3>. Then i could change the code in a, go to buffer
    *compilation*<2> and do M-x recompile and it got recompiled in buffer
    *compilation*<2>. The same with b and *compilation*<3>.

I think it should still do that now.  Did anyone intentionally change
this?