all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)
@ 2008-01-21 16:44 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-01-21 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to wean myself of the ms OSes but I am having trouble at
every turn. On another ng devoted to the Red Hat distro I was told that
it was enough to have Xmodmap in /etc/X11 in order to remap the mouse
and mod keys but I still have to run xmodmap Xmodmap before the keyboard
is set up the way I want it for Emacs. Does a script have to be put
somewhere in order for the remapping to happen automatically for all
users? Do I have to do it twice (once for root and once for ordinary
user? This is on Fedora 8.

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)
@ 2008-01-21 18:37 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-21 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. T. Raven; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.01.2008 um 17:44 schrieb B. T. Raven:

> Do I have to do it twice (once for root and once for ordinary user?

Yes and no.

Yes: when root is logged in and using X11 it has to be set for root.
Too.

No: when root is guest on its host's desktop it "feels" the same as
its hosts.

	xmodmap ${HOME}/.xmodmaprc

belongs into ~/.xinitrc. If no such file exists in an user's home
directory, then a file like

	/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

can be used instead. For details consult your local manual – there is
no general default.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration.
				– Donald Knuth

* Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)
@ 2008-01-23 14:25 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-01-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

[...]

> Does a script have to be put somewhere in order for the remapping to
> happen automatically for all users? Do I have to do it twice (once for
> root and once for ordinary user? This is on Fedora 8.

Are you using a display manager (GDM or KDM)?  If you're using KDM, you
should have a file called .xinitrc in your home directory that you can
access using the "Default" option from the "Sessions" menu.  Something
similar should be there in GDM.  Your .xinitrc should read .xmodmap.

Here's my .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

# Start the window manager:
exec /usr/bin/fvwm2

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-23 14:31 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-01-23 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs