all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-x keystroke changed at runtime
@ 2016-09-20  8:42 Michele Bert
From: Michele Bert @ 2016-09-20  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use Emacs (23.3.1 on Ubuntu 12.04) in my daily work, and I can
assert I know it _quite_ well. Allthough today something very strange
has happened.

After more than 1 week that it has been running (continuosly: I use to
leave it always open, even during the night, opening and closing
buffers, creating new frames, even with aid of emacsclient), suddenly
(few minutes ago) the C-x keystroke has changed behavior: whenever
there is an active region, it kills the selected text (just like C-w),
while if there isn't any region, it acts as a prefix for the usual
keystrokes (I can visit a file with C-x, C-f, or save it with C-x,
C-s, or change buffer with C-x, b, for example). But with an active
region it kills it instantly.

I am going to restart the program, but before doing it, I would be
very curious to understand what is happening, so if anyone has a
suggestion about some tests or checks I can do, I would appreciate.

Mick

* Re: C-x keystroke changed at runtime
@ 2016-09-20 14:22 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-09-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michele Bert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Michele Bert <micbert75@gmail.com> wrote:

> the C-x keystroke has changed behavior: whenever
> there is an active region, it kills the selected text (just like C-w),
> while if there isn't any region, it acts as a prefix for the usual
> keystrokes

Looks like cua-mode.

* RE: C-x keystroke changed at runtime
@ 2016-09-20 14:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-09-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michele Bert, help-gnu-emacs

> I use Emacs (23.3.1 on Ubuntu 12.04) in my daily work, and I can
> assert I know it _quite_ well. Allthough today something very strange
> has happened.
>
> After more than 1 week that it has been running (continuosly: I use to
> leave it always open, even during the night, opening and closing
> buffers, creating new frames, even with aid of emacsclient), suddenly
> (few minutes ago) the C-x keystroke has changed behavior: whenever
> there is an active region, it kills the selected text (just like C-w),
> while if there isn't any region, it acts as a prefix for the usual
> keystrokes (I can visit a file with C-x, C-f, or save it with C-x,
> C-s, or change buffer with C-x, b, for example). But with an active
> region it kills it instantly.
>
> I am going to restart the program, but before doing it, I would be
> very curious to understand what is happening, so if anyone has a
> suggestion about some tests or checks I can do, I would appreciate.

What does `C-h v cua-mode' tell you?

Sounds like `cua-mode' is turned on.  Perhaps you have installed
a package or other Emacs-Lisp code that automatically turns on
`cua-mode', or perhaps you turned it on, yourself.

Normally, just _loading_ a library should not turn anything
on (and should not change global key bindings).  Alas, this
is not always the case.

* Re: C-x keystroke changed at runtime
@ 2016-09-20 14:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-09-20 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Michele Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:42:42 +0200
>
> After more than 1 week that it has been running (continuosly: I use to
> leave it always open, even during the night, opening and closing
> buffers, creating new frames, even with aid of emacsclient), suddenly
> (few minutes ago) the C-x keystroke has changed behavior: whenever
> there is an active region, it kills the selected text (just like C-w),
> while if there isn't any region, it acts as a prefix for the usual
> keystrokes (I can visit a file with C-x, C-f, or save it with C-x,
> C-s, or change buffer with C-x, b, for example). But with an active
> region it kills it instantly.
>
> I am going to restart the program, but before doing it, I would be
> very curious to understand what is happening, so if anyone has a
> suggestion about some tests or checks I can do, I would appreciate.

Crystal ball says you've turned on CUA mode.  What do you see in the
mode line, where minor modes are shown?  What does "C-h m" tell you
about the active modes?

* Re: C-x keystroke changed at runtime
@ 2016-09-20 14:57   ` Michele Bert
From: Michele Bert @ 2016-09-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Looks like cua-mode.

It was! :-)
I probably turned it incidentally on, playing with the menu.
Thanks.
--

@ 2016-09-20 14:59   ` Michele Bert
From: Michele Bert @ 2016-09-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Crystal ball says you've turned on CUA mode.  What do you see in the
> mode line, where minor modes are shown?  What does "C-h m" tell you
> about the active modes?

That's it!
Allthough the mode-line does not show anything about cua

--
Mick