all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/raeburn-startup 9919e41 2/2: Exclude comma symbols from print-symbols-as-references processing.
       [not found] ` <20170112064008.F1C782201C9@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2017-01-12 13:03   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Ken Raeburn

> +       && ! EQ (Qcomma, obj)						\
> +       && ! EQ (Qcomma_at, obj)						\
> +       && ! EQ (Qcomma_dot, obj)))

I can't think of any reason why the same problem wouldn't affect `quote'
and `

@ 2017-01-12 19:30     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2017-01-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jan 12, 2017, at 08:03, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> +       && ! EQ (Qcomma, obj)						\
>> +       && ! EQ (Qcomma_at, obj)						\
>> +       && ! EQ (Qcomma_dot, obj)))
>
> I can't think of any reason why the same problem wouldn't affect `quote'
> and `

They’re winding up in the table, too, but they get written out using printchar, while the comma symbols are written out using print_object, which will use the “#” forms.  Or, rather, pairs starting with quote and ` are written out that way.  Otherwise, my dumped.elc has #1=quote and #954=\`, and #1# and #954# are emitted like any other symbol.

Changing the printing of the comma symbols to use printchar probably would’ve worked as well.  In fact, thinking on it, it might be cleaner, special-casing not the symbols but the generation of the special output syntax.  I’ll have another look at that tonight.

Ken