all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
Cc: Thomas Baumann <dtbaumann@yahoo.de>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: spreadsheet in org
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:07:10 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sep 8, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

>>> That is not the same thing as auto recalculation as in excel or
>>> similar
>>> : you must manually invoke it. This is easily forgotten (well by
>>> me :-;)
>>>

>> Fortunately, there is _no_ auto-recalculation, it would slow down
>> things significantly on large tables with complex formulas.
>
> Well, clearly one would be able to turn it off in the case of
> excessive
> load. In my case its unfortunate, rather than fortunate, since the
> spreadsheets I have (or want to convert) are small and there is
> negligible slowdown. To have to remember to refresh the entire
> spreadsheet is a burden - not a large one I agree, but one which if
> forgotten could lead to catastrophic financial reports :-;

Hi Richard,

how about this code (can even go into .emacs):

(run-with-idle-timer 1.0 'repeat
    (lambda ()
      (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
	  (org-at-table-p)
	  (org-table-recalculate 'all))))

This will recalculate each time you are idle for more than 1 second
with cursor inside the table.

This may get you into trouble when you have a formula that produces
and error, in which case you can protect the call with a condition-
case, or you can write yourself a function that does turn this feature
on and off.

>>> If I tab to a field above and press enter a new row appears. It is
>>> bound
>>> to org-return. (Latest version). Also there is no preselection of
>>> the cell
>>> contents so if I type "8" when I have tabbed to the "cashbank" field
>>> above then I get "| 8 2040 |".
>>
>> tab into the field and start writing... believe me, it works (org
>> 6.06b
>> and all versions I used since the tables were introduced.)
>
> As I said above, when I tab in and start writing it adds to the
> existing
> text. I do believe it might be different for you, but believe me, it
> does not for me...

What is the setting of org-table-auto-blank-field ?

If it is t and the feature Thomas describes does not work, you have
indeed got interference from some other  package.

- Carsten