all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-04 14:25 ernest
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1296990042.10345.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ernest @ 2011-02-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
Recently, I've been compelled to use the Windows (XP) operating
system.
The problem I have is that every now and then I change emacs's
keyboard
layout by accident. Usually it switches to US layout, some times to
other
layouts. It must be some combination of keys, I still haven't figured
out which ones. Once it's changed I cannot fix it or I don't know how
to fix it.
I select the default keyboard layout or the Spanish layout on the
menu, but
nothing happens. I have to restart emacs every time!
Any idea how I can avoid this? This is specific to emacs, other
programs
are not affected. I also use emacs on GNU/Linux and never had this
problem. Cheers.
--
Ernest

* Re: accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-06 10:48 ` Cecilio Pardo
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1296990042.10345.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cecilio Pardo @ 2011-02-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ernest; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You are probably pressing and releasing shift+alt, which switches
keyboard language. Do that again to switch back. You can disable this
key combination in windows' control panel.

--
Cecilio Pardo.

@ 2011-02-06 18:47   ` Hilary
From: Hilary @ 2011-02-06 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecilio Pardo wrote:
> You are probably pressing and releasing shift+alt, which switches
> keyboard language. Do that again to switch back. You can disable this
> key combination in windows' control panel.
>
>> Hi,
>> Recently, I've been compelled to use the Windows (XP) operating
>> system.
>> The problem I have is that every now and then I change emacs's
>> keyboard
>> layout by accident. Usually it switches to US layout, some times to
>> other
>> layouts. It must be some combination of keys, I still haven't figured
>> out which ones. Once it's changed I cannot fix it or I don't know how
>> to fix it.
>> I select the default keyboard layout or the Spanish layout on the
>> menu, but
>> nothing happens. I have to restart emacs every time!
>> Any idea how I can avoid this? This is specific to emacs, other
>> programs
>> are not affected. I also use emacs on GNU/Linux and never had this
>> problem. Cheers.

The same thing happened to me after a particularly long session. It was
definitely caused within emacs, not by windoze, and the correct
keymapping was restored on restarting emacs. If it happens again I'll
try to track down the cause and report back, though I'm rather hoping it
doesn't happen again.

* Re: accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-06 21:16   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-06 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-06 12:48, Cecilio Pardo wrote:

> You are probably pressing and releasing shift+alt, which switches
> keyboard language. Do that again to switch back. You can disable this
> key combination in windows' control panel.

For disabling Windows lang layout key binging I use such .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Toggle]
; The value 1 specifies that LEFT ALT+SHIFT switches locales.
; The value 2 specifies CTRL+SHIFT.
; 3 disables the key sequence altogether.
; I decide use AutoHotkey to switch locales.
;
; These customisations have affect at least after logout/login.
"Hotkey"="3"
"Language Hotkey"="3"
"Layout Hotkey"="3"

In Emacs I switch to Russian by C-\. In other apps I use
AutoHotkey script:

; For lang codes see ("Locale identifier" column):
;   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776294(VS.85).aspx
; You must dublicate code.
#1:: SendMessage, 0x50,, 0x04090409,, A ; английский
#2:: SendMessage, 0x50,, 0x04190419,, A ; русский
#3:: SendMessage, 0x50,, 0x04220422,, A ; украинский

~LWin UP:: return

; Local Variables:
; coding: windows-1251-dos
; comment-start: "; "
; End:

which I wrote because Emacs key binding conflict with Windows ((.
And Windows don't allow any other key binding for switching
lang layout rather than Alt+Shift/Ctrl+Shift.

No I type left Win key + 1 to switch to EN lang,
lWin + 2 to RU lang, etc...

--
Best regards!

* Re: accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-07  5:30     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-02-07  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What makes you so sure of that?  The keyboard layout is under control of the operating system, not Emacs.  And any similar feature within Emacs (such as viper-mode) is not easily triggered.

* Re: accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-07 12:15       ` Hilary
From: Hilary @ 2011-02-07 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney wrote:
> windoze</blockquote> <p> What makes you so sure of that?  The
> keyboard layout is under control of the operating system, not Emacs.
> And any similar feature within Emacs (such as viper-mode) is not
> easily triggered. </p>

Emacs was the only application affected, and closing and restarting it
(without changing any windoze settings) cured the problem.

--
Hilary

* Re: accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-07 22:34         ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2011-02-07 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-07, Hilary <hils@newearth.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Jason Rumney wrote:
>> windoze</blockquote> <p> What makes you so sure of that?  The
>> keyboard layout is under control of the operating system, not Emacs.
>> And any similar feature within Emacs (such as viper-mode) is not
>> easily triggered. </p>
>
> Emacs was the only application affected, and closing and restarting it
> (without changing any windoze settings) cured the problem.

BS.  Keyboard layout is per-application (at least on Win7).

Just make the layout visible on the taskbar - then you can use mouse
to switch back if it got accidentally mis-set.  I think it is called
the "language bar" or some such...

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: accidentally changing keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-08  0:24           ` Hils
From: Hils @ 2011-02-08  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On 2011-02-07, Hilary <hils@newearth.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Jason Rumney wrote:
>>> windoze</blockquote> <p> What makes you so sure of that?  The
>>> keyboard layout is under control of the operating system, not Emacs.
>>> And any similar feature within Emacs (such as viper-mode) is not
>>> easily triggered. </p>
>> Emacs was the only application affected, and closing and restarting it
>> (without changing any windoze settings) cured the problem.
>
> BS.  Keyboard layout is per-application (at least on Win7).
>
> Just make the layout visible on the taskbar - then you can use mouse
> to switch back if it got accidentally mis-set.  I think it is called
> the "language bar" or some such...
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ilya

I've worked out now what happened. I'd been using M-% a lot, and didn't
press the 5 in time to avoid windoze catching it and switching the
language instead. (Probably trying to do it one-handed.) The console I
checked it against is a wrapper around the command prompt which isn't
affected by the language change. Two gotchas in one evening. We live and
learn. Eventually. :-)

@ 2011-02-08 13:44   ` ernest
From: ernest @ 2011-02-08 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6 Feb, 11:48, Cecilio Pardo <cpa...@imayhem.com> wrote:
> You are probably pressing and releasing shift+alt, which switches
> keyboard language. Do that again to switch back. You can disable this
> key combination in windows' control panel.

It was that. Alt+Shift switches to US layout. Pressing Alt+Shift again
switches to another layout, And pressing again switches back to the
original layout.
Thank God I've found out, it was driving me mad :)
--
Ernest