all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* System-wide problem with backup files
@ 2003-12-04 19:07 Nancy McDermott
From: Nancy McDermott @ 2003-12-04 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

We use emacs 21.2.1 on Tru64 and Linux servers. Recently (and we don't know
exactly when),
the backup files have not been updating properly. It only saves the
original backup file, but no
other changes when the file is edited subsequently. We haven't upgraded
emacs for over a year
so we haven't changed emacs itself recently. Does anyone have any idea what
could be causing this?
Your help would be very much appreciated as the problem is affecting a lot
of our users. Thanks.

Nancy McDermott, Director
Social Science Computing Cooperative
University of Wisconsin - Madison
1180 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI  53706
(608) 262-3206
mcdermot@ssc.wisc.edu

* Re: System-wide problem with backup files
@ 2003-12-05 16:06 Nancy McDermott
From: Nancy McDermott @ 2003-12-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yesterday I reported that emacs on our system was not saving the backup files
correctly. (It was only saving the original backup file, but nothing ever
got written
there again after later edits.) Well, today, the problem has mysteriously
disappeared!
What could have been going on? We are totally stumped and want to figure this
out so it doesn't happen again. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

>Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:07:54 -0600
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>From: Nancy McDermott <mcdermot@ssc.wisc.edu>
>Subject: System-wide problem with backup files
>
>We use emacs 21.2.1 on Tru64 and Linux servers. Recently (and we don't
>know exactly when),
>the backup files have not been updating properly. It only saves the
>original backup file, but no
>other changes when the file is edited subsequently. We haven't upgraded
>emacs for over a year
>so we haven't changed emacs itself recently. Does anyone have any idea
>what could be causing this?
>Your help would be very much appreciated as the problem is affecting a lot
>of our users. Thanks.
>
>Nancy McDermott, Director
>Social Science Computing Cooperative
>University of Wisconsin - Madison
>1180 Observatory Drive
>Madison, WI  53706
>(608) 262-3206
>mcdermot@ssc.wisc.edu

Nancy

* RE: System-wide problem with backup files
@ 2003-12-05 18:26 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2003-12-05 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)