all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: unbind the paste functionality of the middle mouse button
       [not found] <a4r4l9$hrt$1@news.kodak.com>
@ 2002-02-18 20:32 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-02-18 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Victor Hannak" <victor.hannak@kodak.com> writes:

> Is there a way to unbind the paste functionality of the middle mouse button
> while retaining the other uses?
>
> The middle button on a wheel mouse is very sensitive making it easy to
> inadvertently paste text while scrolling. I would like to eliminate the
> paste feature but obviously, I would still like to be able to use the middle
> mouse button to select items from dialog boxes and the like.

I submitted a patch prior to 21.1 which introduced a delay after using
the scroll wheel during which a mouse-2 click would be ignored.

It worked very well, but didn't make it into the release (it was
rejected because it didn't add generic mouse-wheel support -- only
solved this specific problem).

Maybe it would be time to look at it again for 21.3.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

* Re: unbind the paste functionality of the middle mouse button
@ 2002-02-19 21:31   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-19 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: victor.hannak, emacs-devel

    It worked very well, but didn't make it into the release (it was
    rejected because it didn't add generic mouse-wheel support -- only
    solved this specific problem).

I am not sure what that means.  What precisely didn't it add?  What
more is needed to make it a good thing to install?

* Re: unbind the paste functionality of the middle mouse button
@ 2002-02-19 22:56     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-02-19 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: victor.hannak, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     It worked very well, but didn't make it into the release (it was
>     rejected because it didn't add generic mouse-wheel support -- only
>     solved this specific problem).
>
> I am not sure what that means.  What precisely didn't it add?  What
> more is needed to make it a good thing to install?

The change I made was pretty low-level and for X only.

Its sole purpose was to avoid stray mouse-2 events during scrolling
with the mouse.

It allowed you to specify what buttons correspond to the "mouse
wheel", e.g. mouse-4 and mouse-5 and what button is associated with
the wheel, e.g. mouse-2.  It would then block mouse-2 for 200 ms (or so)
after receiving a mouse-4 or mouse-5 event.

The emacs developers didn't want a fix at this level -- they preferred
adding mouse-wheel support to X (similar to the w32 mouse-wheel support).

Since noone has done that (yet), the original problem persists...