all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs as an IDE
@ 2007-10-14 19:01 polymedes
From: polymedes @ 2007-10-14 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to use emacs for software development and I currently am
learning it. I use the command "dabbrev-expand" (bound to M-/) to
expand (autocomplete) funtion and variable names. But how can I see
the function definition _while_ I'm typing ?

In all IDEs when you type the opening parenthesis a tooltip shows you
the arguments that you should pass to the function.

What do emacs developers usually do?

Furthermore, if the function is overloaded how can somebody know all
the definitions?

These questions apply to C++, Java, Python and C#

* Emacs IDE
@ 2017-03-04  1:06 Ahmed Sorour
From: Ahmed Sorour @ 2017-03-04  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've recently been working more extensively with various coding languages,
and have developed a need to use IDEs.

Is it possible to configure Emacs to act as a complete replacement for:

- Atom or Sublime (for Python)
- IntelliJ IDEA (for Java)

Aside from project management, I'm also interested in a setup where I can
call Emacs to launch with one configuration when working with Java, and
another configuration when working with Python, etc.

Thanks

* emacs as an ide
@ 2003-10-09  8:11 Martin
From: Martin @ 2003-10-09  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to use emacs as an ide.  I can see how to set it up to simply compile
the current file, but I would also like to be able to build projects (ie.
compile multiple files and then link them), and build a solution - ie build
multiple projects.

Is it possible to add buttons or menu options that execute appropriate make
commands?  Also would it still be able to hook up any compile error messages
with the appropriate source file?

Thanks alot
Martin