all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Formatting of XML
@ 2002-11-25 23:22 Oliver White
From: Oliver White @ 2002-11-25 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I'm working with XML, and comming to grips with NT emacs. I've figured
out how to set the mode to SGML, which gives me the coloured markup.
The problem is that I can't indent my tags as I'd like. I'm certain
there's a configuration change I can make (this is emacs after al!),
and your help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Oli White

* Re: Formatting of XML
@ 2002-11-25 23:44 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-11-25 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

oliver.white@invensys.com (Oliver White) writes:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'm working with XML, and comming to grips with NT emacs. I've figured
>out how to set the mode to SGML, which gives me the coloured markup.
>The problem is that I can't indent my tags as I'd like. I'm certain
>there's a configuration change I can make (this is emacs after al!),
>and your help would be most appreciated.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Oli White

xml-lite mode does this, but you have to have valid XML -- HTML with
it's unclosed <br> tag, for example, will break the indentation.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: Formatting of XML
@ 2002-11-25 23:45   ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-11-25 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

>xml-lite mode does this, but you have to have valid XML -- HTML with
>it's unclosed <br> tag, for example, will break the indentation.

I think I meant "well-formed" XML --- I don't believe a DTD is
necessary for xml-lite mode.
--
Mike Slass

* Re: Formatting of XML
@ 2002-11-26 13:11 ` Jeff Rancier
From: Jeff Rancier @ 2002-11-26 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does, from the menu bar, SGML->File Options->Indent Step, do what you need?
Jeff

"Oliver White" <oliver.white@invensys.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working with XML, and comming to grips with NT emacs. I've figured
> out how to set the mode to SGML, which gives me the coloured markup.
> The problem is that I can't indent my tags as I'd like. I'm certain
> there's a configuration change I can make (this is emacs after al!),
> and your help would be most appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Oli White

* Re: Formatting of XML
@ 2002-11-26 15:08 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm working with XML, and comming to grips with NT emacs. I've figured
> out how to set the mode to SGML, which gives me the coloured markup.
> The problem is that I can't indent my tags as I'd like. I'm certain
> there's a configuration change I can make (this is emacs after al!),
> and your help would be most appreciated.

The distributed version of sgml-mode does not support automatic indentation.
The development one does, tho (it basically merged in the xml-lite code
mentioned by Michael, with a few extra fixes/improvements (and new bugs
as well, I'm sure)).  Get it from:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

-- Stefan

* Re: Formatting of XML
@ 2002-11-27  2:41   ` Oliver White
From: Oliver White @ 2002-11-27  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in message news:<5lu1i4nzb9.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu>...

> The distributed version of sgml-mode does not support automatic indentation.
> The development one does, tho (it basically merged in the xml-lite code
> mentioned by Michael, with a few extra fixes/improvements (and new bugs
> as well, I'm sure)).  Get it from:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

It's not so much auto-indenting that I'm worried about, it's just that
I simply cannot indent at all with the tab key, beyond the level of
indentation of the tag I'm in.

For instance, if I have this text:

<schema>
    <pattern name="foo">
    </pattern>
</schema>

and I insert a new line within the pattern tags, I can't tab beyond
that single level of indentation.

Also... how would I install the el file you offered?

Cheers,

Oli White
Software Engineer
Westinghouse Signals Australia

* Re: Formatting of XML
@ 2002-12-07 11:54     ` Laurent Faureytier
From: Laurent Faureytier @ 2002-12-07 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I gave up trying to use the emacs builtin sgml-mode long ago...

I read the article from the IBM guy about psgml-mode (I think it can
still be found at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-emacs/ ) and then there
was light... (downloaded the package from sourceforge.net). It's a bit
tricky to install/setup (need to create the SGML public catalog that
associates each XML document type with the right DTD) but when it's
done, it's really great for indentation, element syntax description,
DTD-constrained edition, etc. The only things I regret is the hiliting
in psgml seems to be a little poorer than with sgml-mode.

Now, I don't know about xml-lite, it may provide a good compromise of
complexity/features... Where can we get it ? (I'm using win32 emacs
21.1.1). Maybe more recent versions of Emacs have an improved version of
sgml-mode ?

news: b900e154.0211261841.62fac3e3@posting.google.com...

@ 2002-12-09 16:41       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-09 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)