all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tracking changes
@ 2003-06-25  8:04 Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2003-06-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I wondered if there was a mode in emacs which allowed the tracking of
changes, i.e. consider the following text:

   "Bob has a red car"

Now, it turns out that Bob has bought a new car, which is blue, and
the text must be updated accordingly. What I would like was some mode
which retained (a marked up/highlighted version of) the old text, "red"
in this case, and also highlighted/marked up the new version to
indicate that it was new:

   "Bob has a _red_ *blue* car"

I know of the ediff-compare-** commands, which are very good, but for
now I would like the possibility to keep everything in one document.

Any suggestions?

--
Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076

* Re: Tracking changes
@ 2003-06-25 14:13 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2003-06-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joakim Hove <hove@bccs.no> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I wondered if there was a mode in emacs which allowed the tracking of
> changes, i.e. consider the following text:
>
>    "Bob has a red car"
>
> Now, it turns out that Bob has bought a new car, which is blue, and
> the text must be updated accordingly. What I would like was some mode
> which retained (a marked up/highlighted version of) the old text, "red"
> in this case, and also highlighted/marked up the new version to
> indicate that it was new:

See M-x highlight-changes-mode, which will only work until you kill
the buffer.

Otherwise, if you want across-editing-sessions change tracking, you
could turn on numeric incremental backups and then use diff, but that
doesn't meet your "all in one file" requirement.
--
Benjamin

* Re: Tracking changes
@ 2003-06-25 18:15 ` Stefan Monnier