all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Q: How to suppress display of macro execution?
@ 2002-10-09 19:24 Martin Cohen
From: Martin Cohen @ 2002-10-09 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am running emacs 21.2 in cygwin under windows 2000.

When a keyboard macro is repeatedly executed (by preceding
the c-x e with esc 0), the execution is displayed as it goes.
This can take a long time if the macro is executed many times.

How can I turn off the display of the executions and show
only the result at the end (when I get the message about
"Keyboard macro terminated by a command ringing the bell")?

I searched the faq and did a google search, but did not find
an answer to this.

Thanks

Martin Cohen

* Re: Q: How to suppress display of macro execution?
@ 2002-10-09 19:48 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-10-09 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3DA48289.819077ED@west.raytheon.com>,
Martin Cohen  <martin_j_cohen@west.raytheon.com> wrote:
>I am running emacs 21.2 in cygwin under windows 2000.
>
>When a keyboard macro is repeatedly executed (by preceding
>the c-x e with esc 0), the execution is displayed as it goes.
>This can take a long time if the macro is executed many times.
>
>How can I turn off the display of the executions and show
>only the result at the end (when I get the message about
>"Keyboard macro terminated by a command ringing the bell")?

Redisplay is normally disabled during macro execution, so you shouldn't
need to do anything.  If something is displaying, you must be executing a
command that explicitly forces a redisplay.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: Q: How to suppress display of macro execution?
@ 2002-10-09 21:43 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-09 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am running emacs 21.2 in cygwin under windows 2000.
> When a keyboard macro is repeatedly executed (by preceding
> the c-x e with esc 0), the execution is displayed as it goes.
> This can take a long time if the macro is executed many times.

That's a bug that manifests itself sometimes.  You might want to try
and track down what part of your configuration make it happen or
under which circumstances it appears so you can avoid it.

It is fixed in the development code of Emacs, so it should be fixed
in Emacs-21.4 or somesuch.