all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* simple xml mode
@ 2003-03-28  1:04 Michael P. Soulier
From: Michael P. Soulier @ 2003-03-28  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hey people,

    Has anyone written a simple xml mode that just does basic font-lock and
smart indenting for xml? I've found problems with psgml-mode, and I don't need
all its capabilities anyway.

    Thanks,
    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix

* Re: simple xml mode
@ 2003-03-28  9:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-28  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     Has anyone written a simple xml mode that just does basic
> font-lock and smart indenting for xml? I've found problems with
> psgml-mode, and I don't need all its capabilities anyway.

I think the sgml-mode that comes with Emacs will do for XML, as well.

* Re: simple xml mode
@ 2003-03-28 13:43   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-28 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Has anyone written a simple xml mode that just does basic
>> font-lock and smart indenting for xml? I've found problems with
>> psgml-mode, and I don't need all its capabilities anyway.
> I think the sgml-mode that comes with Emacs will do for XML, as well.

But only the unreleased version of sgml-mode does indentation.

   http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

It supposedly also works under Emacs-21.1.

* simple xml mode
@ 2003-05-30 11:03 Harald Kirsch
From: Harald Kirsch @ 2003-05-30 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a very basic XML mode for Emacs?

The answer does NOT seem to be psgml.

There have been hints in other messages to ignore warnings
about DTDs not found, but then psgml is not any more useful
than plain text-mode. For example:

C-c C-e does not allow me to enter an arbitrary tag. All I get
  is [No match]
Tab does not indent anything.

The only thing that works is C-c / to close an open tag.

Any ideas how I can at least get C-c C-e and indenting working
without first writing a DTD?

  Thanks,
   Harald.

* Re: simple xml mode
@ 2003-05-30 13:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-30 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

pifpafpuf@gmx.de (Harald Kirsch) writes:

> Is there a very basic XML mode for Emacs?

Emacs comes with sgml-mode.el which I think also provides facilities
for editing XML.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: simple xml mode
@ 2003-05-30 13:33 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-05-30 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Kirsch wrote:
> Is there a very basic XML mode for Emacs?
>
> The answer does NOT seem to be psgml.
> Any ideas how I can at least get C-c C-e and indenting working
> without first writing a DTD?

Hm. I am still not very familiar with schemas.
So you want an XML mode, which ignores invalid tags?
You may have to write this mode, yourself.
There is xxml.el (see resources at <url: http://emacro.sf.net/ >
but it probably won't help.

Is it possible to write a DTD, which matches all (or all likely) tags?
This, of course, would clash with all namespaces.

* Re: simple xml mode
@ 2003-05-30 13:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-05-30 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-05-30 20:11   ` Harald Kirsch
From: Harald Kirsch @ 2003-05-30 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in message news:<5lel2go7qz.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu>...
> > Is there a very basic XML mode for Emacs?
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

Hmm, my xemacs does not want to swallow this.
An M-x eval-buffer on the above file results in:

  Unrecognized char table type: sgml-table

Any ideas of how to get it going with xemacs?

  Harald.