all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 21.2 and lisp interaction mode
@ 2002-04-19  5:12 Mordechai T. Abzug
From: Mordechai T. Abzug @ 2002-04-19  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently upgraded from emacs 20.7 to emacs 21.2.  When I start 21.2
using "emacs -nw", I get the error "Lisp nesting exceeds
max-lisp-eval-depth".  More worrisome, if I start it with a file
(ie. "emacs -nw file"), the error occurs before the file is loaded,
and the file doesn't load.

After some debugging, it looks like commenting out the following entry
in my .emacs makes the problem go away:

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'lisp-interaction-mode)

Again, this wasn't a problem under 20.7.  Apparently, someone broke
backwards compatibility.

- Morty

* Re: emacs 21.2 and lisp interaction mode
@ 2002-04-19 14:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-04-19 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'lisp-interaction-mode)

Oh boy!
Try (defalias 'emacs-lisp-mode 'lisp-interaction-mode) instead.

* Re: emacs 21.2 and lisp interaction mode
@ 2002-04-19 18:43 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-19 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    After some debugging, it looks like commenting out the following entry
    in my .emacs makes the problem go away:

    (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'lisp-interaction-mode)

    Again, this wasn't a problem under 20.7.

If this wasn't a problem before, that was due to a bug.
lisp-interaction-mode is supposed to run emacs-list-mode-hook, but
perhaps it failed to do so in 20.7.