all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15  0:34 halida
From: halida @ 2009-04-15  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
and add source code into it.
The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
top,
and run the makefile.
Is there any good method to do project management like eclipse or
other IDE?

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15  3:29 ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-04-15  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4월15일, 오전9시34분, halida <linjunhal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
> When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
> and add source code into it.
> The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
> top,
> and run the makefile.
> Is there any good method to do project management like eclipse or
> other IDE?

Google 'CEDET' and 'EDE'. Good luck. :)

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15  7:32 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-04-15  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

halida <linjunhalida@gmail.com> writes:

> I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
> When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
> and add source code into it.
> The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
> top,
> and run the makefile.

Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile RET
then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
from any directory...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15  8:11   ` Peter Dyballa
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-15  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.04.2009 um 09:32 schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:

> then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
> from any directory...

You probably mean when the *compilation* buffer still exists? And
from it? (In coming GNU Emacs 23.1 a single g in this *compilation*
buffer will make it recompile.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

When in doubt, use brute force.
				– Ken Thompson

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15  8:26   ` Alberto Luaces
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5369.1239783125.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2009-04-15  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

El Miércoles 15 Abril 2009ES 09:32:42 Pascal J. Bourguignon escribió:
> Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile
> RET then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
> from any directory...

Sorry, what's this "C-e SPC" for? I tried and it didn't anything but typing a
space character after the "make -k" thing... (Emacs 22)

Regards,

Alberto

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15  8:42     ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2009-04-15  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

El Miércoles 15 Abril 2009ES 10:26:03 Alberto Luaces escribió:
> El Miércoles 15 Abril 2009ES 09:32:42 Pascal J. Bourguignon escribió:
> > Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C
> > /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile RET then to recompile: M-x
> > recompile RET
> > from any directory...
>
> Sorry, what's this "C-e SPC" for? I tried and it didn't anything but typing
> a space character after the "make -k" thing... (Emacs 22)

Oh, to place the point at the end of the command if it is not there already...
sorry for the noise.

@ 2009-04-15  8:46     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-04-15  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 15.04.2009 um 09:32 schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:
>
>> then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
>> from any directory...
>
> You probably mean when the *compilation* buffer still exists? And
> from it? (In coming GNU Emacs 23.1 a single g in this *compilation*
> buffer will make it recompile.)

No I mean to type M-x recompile RET from any directory, any buffer,
when you need to recompile your project.  You may find it easier and
more practical to type M-x recomp RET than to switch to the
*compilation* buffer and type g.  I do.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5370.1239783629.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-15  8:48     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-04-15  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> El Miércoles 15 Abril 2009ES 09:32:42 Pascal J. Bourguignon escribió:
>> Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile
>> RET then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
>> from any directory...
>
> Sorry, what's this "C-e SPC" for? I tried and it didn't anything but typing a
> space character after the "make -k" thing... (Emacs 22)

Yes, it's just in case the cursor wasn't at the end of the line
already, or if there wasn't already a space after the make command.

In newsgroup scripts, it's easier to add possibly spurious keys than
to make them conditional.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15 11:13       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-15 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 15.04.2009 um 09:32 schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:
>>
>>> then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
>>> from any directory...
>>
>> You probably mean when the *compilation* buffer still exists? And
>> from it? (In coming GNU Emacs 23.1 a single g in this *compilation*
>> buffer will make it recompile.)
>
> No I mean to type M-x recompile RET from any directory, any buffer,
> when you need to recompile your project.  You may find it easier and
> more practical to type M-x recomp RET than to switch to the
> *compilation* buffer and type g.  I do.

Handy to know, but is the doc string right?

,----
| recompile is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `compile.el'.
|
| (recompile &optional edit-command)
|
| Re-compile the program including the current buffer.
| If this is run in a Compilation mode buffer, re-use the arguments from the
| original use.  Otherwise, recompile using `compile-command'.
| If the optional argument `edit-command' is non-nil, the command can be edited.
|
| [back]
`----

It certainly didn't include this gnus buffer when I just tried :-;

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15 12:51 grischka
From: grischka @ 2009-04-15 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: linjunhalida; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
 > When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
 > and add source code into it.
 > The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back
 > to the top,  and run the makefile.
 >
 > Is there any good method to do project management like eclipse or
 > other IDE?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/eproject

It allows to define projects, and in each project to define
menu commands and shortcut keys as you like. For example:

make (f9)               : make
clean (C-f9)            : make clean
run (f8)                : ./my-program
stop (C-f8)             : -e kill-compilation
---
configure               : ./configure

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15 13:29 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-04-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: halida; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

halida <linjunhalida@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
> top,
> and run the makefile.

In addition to what others said, you can use compile-bookmarks[1], which
is a more light-weight tool I wrote for this purpose.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

[1]: http://nschum.de/src/emacs/compile-bookmarks/

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5370.1239783629.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-15 19:05   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-04-15 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> halida <linjunhalida@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
>> When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
>> and add source code into it.
>> The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
>> top,
>> and run the makefile.
>
> Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile RET
> then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
> from any directory...

I use

cd /path/to/make/file  && make -f Makefile

as my build command.

Col.

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15 21:04     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> halida <linjunhalida@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
>>> When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
>>> and add source code into it.
>>> The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
>>> top,
>>> and run the makefile.
>>
>> Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile RET
>> then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
>> from any directory...
>>

> I use
>
> cd /path/to/make/file  && make -f Makefile
>
> as my build command.
>
> Col.

CEDET's EDE might also be of interest.

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/ede.shtml

* Re: is there a good way to do emacs project management ?
@ 2009-04-15 21:48     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-04-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> halida <linjunhalida@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I use emacs to do some coding, and text editing,
>>> When I create a new coding project, I simply create a new folder,
>>> and add source code into it.
>>> The problem is, with multi-forders, it is hard to change back to the
>>> top,
>>> and run the makefile.
>> Type:  M-x compile RET C-e SPC -C
>> /path/to/the/directory/where/is/Makefile RET
>> then to recompile: M-x recompile RET
>> from any directory...
>>

> I use
>
> cd /path/to/make/file  && make -f Makefile
>
> as my build command.

Indeed, this way is more portable, since it works even with non GNU make.
But:
   make -C /path/to/dir/where/makefile/is
is conceptually simplier, when you have GNU make.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__