all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* version-control and make-backup-file-name-function
@ 2008-08-15 16:20 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2008-08-15 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm bringing this up again, since my question in the old thread [1]
produced no more answers...

I have a customized backup function:

(defun my-backup-file-name (fpath)
  (let (backup-root bpath)
    (setq backup-root "~/.emacs.d/backup")
    (setq bpath (concat backup-root fpath "~"))
    (make-directory (file-name-directory bpath) bpath)
    bpath
    )
  )

combinded with the backup settings:

(setq make-backup-file-name-function 'my-backup-file-name
      version-control t
      delete-old-versions t
      kept-new-versions 6
      kept-old-versions 2)

When uncommenting make-backup-file-name-function it works with backups
in the same dir as the original. With make-backup-file-name-function
there are backups in the .emacs/backup dir but only the first version
which is never updated. I suspect it's a problem with the creation of
the backup file name for the n-th version.

Anyone got an idea how to combine versioned backups and custom
location?
Furthermore: What is the difference between kept-new-versions and kept-
old-versions? I did RTM but I'm still not sure.

Thanks,

Florian

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/2f29712021157725#

* Re: version-control and make-backup-file-name-function
@ 2008-08-15 17:22 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.17017.1219131677.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-08-15 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lindner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm bringing this up again, since my question in the old thread [1]
> produced no more answers...
>
> I have a customized backup function:
>
> (defun my-backup-file-name (fpath)
>   (let (backup-root bpath)
>     (setq backup-root "~/.emacs.d/backup")
>     (setq bpath (concat backup-root fpath "~"))
>     (make-directory (file-name-directory bpath) bpath)
>     bpath
>     )
>   )
>
> combinded with the backup settings:
>
> (setq make-backup-file-name-function 'my-backup-file-name
>       version-control t
>       delete-old-versions t
>       kept-new-versions 6
>       kept-old-versions 2)
>

> When uncommenting make-backup-file-name-function it works with backups
> in the same dir as the original. With make-backup-file-name-function
> there are backups in the .emacs/backup dir but only the first version
> which is never updated. I suspect it's a problem with the creation of
> the backup file name for the n-th version.
>
> Anyone got an idea how to combine versioned backups and custom
> location?
> Furthermore: What is the difference between kept-new-versions and kept-
> old-versions? I did RTM but I'm still not sure.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Florian
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/2f29712021157725#

When you modify a file, `kept-new-versions 6' will keep 6 versions of the
file to the differents states of development and then delete all these
versions but not the last two ==> `kept-old-versions 2'.And then go up
again to 6 ...etc... Correct me if i am wrong.
--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: version-control and make-backup-file-name-function
@ 2008-08-19  7:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.17017.1219131677.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-08-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm bringing this up again, since my question in the old thread [1]
> produced no more answers...
>
> I have a customized backup function:
>
> (defun my-backup-file-name (fpath)
>   (let (backup-root bpath)
>     (setq backup-root "~/.emacs.d/backup")
>     (setq bpath (concat backup-root fpath "~"))
>     (make-directory (file-name-directory bpath) bpath)
>     bpath
>     )
>   )
>
> combinded with the backup settings:
>
> (setq make-backup-file-name-function 'my-backup-file-name
>       version-control t
>       delete-old-versions t
>       kept-new-versions 6
>       kept-old-versions 2)
>

> When uncommenting make-backup-file-name-function it works with backups
> in the same dir as the original. With make-backup-file-name-function
> there are backups in the .emacs/backup dir but only the first version
> which is never updated. I suspect it's a problem with the creation of
> the backup file name for the n-th version.
>
> Anyone got an idea how to combine versioned backups and custom
> location?

Try setting backup-directory-alist instead of
make-backup-file-name-function.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-08-21 19:16   ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2008-08-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 19 Aug., 09:41, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FlorianLindnerwrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm bringing this up again, since my question in the old thread [1]
> > produced no more answers...
>
> > I have a customized backup function:
>
> > (defun my-backup-file-name (fpath)
> >   (let (backup-root bpath)
> >     (setq backup-root "~/.emacs.d/backup")
> >     (setq bpath (concat backup-root fpath "~"))
> >     (make-directory (file-name-directory bpath) bpath)
> >     bpath
> >     )
> >   )
>
> > combinded with the backup settings:
>
> > (setq make-backup-file-name-function 'my-backup-file-name
> >       version-control t
> >       delete-old-versions t
> >       kept-new-versions 6
> >       kept-old-versions 2)
>
> > When uncommenting make-backup-file-name-function it works with backups
> > in the same dir as the original. With make-backup-file-name-function
> > there are backups in the .emacs/backup dir but only the first version
> > which is never updated. I suspect it's a problem with the creation of
> > the backup file name for the n-th version.
>
> > Anyone got an idea how to combine versioned backups and custom
> > location?
>
> Try setting backup-directory-alist instead of
> make-backup-file-name-function.

That puts all my backup files into one dir with the filename changed
to "dir1!dir2!file". Or can this be changed?

Thanks

Florian