all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Printing a hash table
@ 2014-12-18 15:45 Joost Kremers
       [not found] ` <mailman.16411.1418918006.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-12-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

EN:SiS(9)
Hi,

When I have a larg(ish) hash table, displaying this table (e.g., in an
ielm buffer by entering the name that points to it), can take some time.
Usually, when I do this, I'm not really interested in the values stored
in the table, just in the fact whether the variable whose value I'm
checking is actually pointing to a hash table.

Is there a way to tell Emacs to not print the data of a hash table?

TIA

Joost

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm

* RE: Printing a hash table
       [not found] <<slrnm95tki.h18.joost.m.kremers@j.kremers4.news.arnhem.chello.nl>
@ 2014-12-18 15:53 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-12-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, help-gnu-emacs

> I'm not really interested in the values stored in the table, just
> in the fact whether the variable whose value I'm checking is
> actually pointing to a hash table.

Use predicate `hash-table-p'.

M-: (hash-table-p foo-variable) RET

* Re: Printing a hash table
       [not found] ` <mailman.16411.1418918006.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-18 19:27   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-12-18 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> I'm not really interested in the values stored in the table, just
>> in the fact whether the variable whose value I'm checking is
>> actually pointing to a hash table.
>
> Use predicate `hash-table-p'.
>
> M-: (hash-table-p foo-variable) RET

Mmm, I hadn't thought of that... :-)