all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
To: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Consult some suggestions for adjusting keyboard shortcuts to bind conflicts.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 14:26:29 +0000	[thread overview]

> On Ubuntu 20.04, I use fcitx input framework, which use Ctr + SPC to
> trigger input method and Saladict which use Alt + s to call its
> standalone panel.

In general, it's not a good idea to use other programs when you use Emacs.
Your operating system should be a bootloader for Emacs. ;-)

Joking aside:

> But all the above key bindings have been predefined in Emacs. Could you
> please give me some suggestions on adjusting keyboard shortcuts to avoid
> binding conflicts?

That depends on your preferences.  Either you want/can change the bindings
used by other programs, or you change the bindings used by Emacs.

If the choose the former, the problem is that Emacs puts commands on
almost all keys.  You can however safely use the function keys: F5 to F9
will by convention never be predefined by Emacs, the commands on F1 to F4
are available elsewhere, and F9 and F12 are AFAIK not used by Emacs.  F10
and F11 are used by Emacs however, and their commands are not available
elsewhere by default.

If you choose the latter, you have the same problem: you have to move the
commands to some free key, and there aren't many, especially if you want
to use the same bindings in a terminal.  But you can also safely use the
functions keys, and the C-c LETTER bindings, which are by convention
reserved for users.