all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-05 21:16 Farhat Bushra
From: Farhat Bushra @ 2017-04-05 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,,

I work at Volvo Group and need to know if emacs is compatible with win10.
We are planning a migration at windows 10 and need this information.

Thank you in advance,,

Best regards

____________________
Bushra Farhat
Volvo Group IT
System Analyst
DE45100
405 08, Gothenburg Sweden
* +46 313233096
     +46 765533096
*  bushra.farhat@volvo.com<mailto:bushra.farhat@volvo.com>

This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise not authorized to receive this message, you are prohibited to use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this email or any information contained herein. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete this message and any attachments from your system.

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-05 22:50 ` Ken Stevens
From: Ken Stevens @ 2017-04-05 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Farhat Bushra, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM Farhat Bushra <bushra.farhat@volvo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,,
>
> I work at Volvo Group and need to know if emacs is compatible with win10.
> We are planning a migration at windows 10 and need this information.
>
> Thank you in advance,,
>
> Best regards
>
> ____________________
> Bushra Farhat
> Volvo Group IT
> System Analyst
> DE45100
> 405 08, Gothenburg Sweden
> * +46 313233096
>      +46 765533096
> *  bushra.farhat@volvo.com<mailto:bushra.farhat@volvo.com>
>

> This email message and any attachments may contain confidential
> information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or
> otherwise not authorized to receive this message, you are prohibited to
> use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this email or any
> information contained herein. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and permanently

I used emasculated with win 10 all the time I haven't encountered any
issues

--
Sent from MetroMail

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-06  2:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-06  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Farhat Bushra <bushra.farhat@volvo.com>
> Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 21:16:56 +0000
>
> I work at Volvo Group and need to know if emacs is compatible with win10.

It is.

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-06 11:01 ` Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2017-04-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Farhat Bushra, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Yes. No issues.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Farhat Bushra <bushra.farhat@volvo.com>
wrote:

> I work at Volvo Group and need to know if emacs is compatible with win10.
> We are planning a migration at windows 10 and need this information.
>
> Thank you in advance,,
>
> Best regards
>
> ____________________
> Bushra Farhat
> Volvo Group IT
> System Analyst
> DE45100

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-06 13:06   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-04-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes. No issues.

You mean... other than the obvious one, right?

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-07  0:23     ` Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2017-04-07  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

:-) yup, no issues when compared with the functionality on Windows 7 or 8.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> > Yes. No issues.
>
> You mean... other than the obvious one, right?
>

>         Stefan

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-07  1:17       ` Filipe Silva
From: Filipe Silva @ 2017-04-07  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw

no issues other than being forced to use that damned OS.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Kevin Buchs <kevin.buchs@gmail.com> wrote:

> :-) yup, no issues when compared with the functionality on Windows 7 or 8.
>
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > > Yes. No issues.
> >
> > You mean... other than the obvious one, right?
> >

> >         Stefan

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-19 10:22   ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2017-04-19 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

C-S does not work for me on Windows 10, neither in 25.1.1 nor 23.4.1

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr
This is all you need to know about vi: ESC : q ! RET

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-19 14:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:22:15 +0200
>

> C-S does not work for me on Windows 10, neither in 25.1.1 nor 23.4.1

What do you mean by "does not work"? what happens if you try?

Also, it's Ctrl-s, i.e. hold the Control key and then press the
lower-case s key.  Is that what you are doing?

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-19 14:51       ` Rishabh Jain
From: Rishabh Jain @ 2017-04-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think Fredrik is referring to Ctrl+Shift

That was seen by me too. First I thought it was a problem. But, soon it
was clear that 'a' and 'A' are the same (duh!). And shift is being used
as the access key for that other character, which is why it may seem to
not be working.

Fredrik, Is that what you're seeing? However, if you want to use C-{,
you need to press C-S-[ which is treated as C-{.

On that note, it would be useful to detach the two: C-a and C-A (C-S-a)
doing different things.

@ 2017-04-20  7:56         ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2017-04-20  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rishabh Jain <rjain.ece@gmail.com> writes:

>I think Fredrik is referring to Ctrl+Shift
>
>That was seen by me too. First I thought it was a problem. But, soon
>it was clear that 'a' and 'A' are the same (duh!). And shift is being
>used as the access key for that other character, which is why it may
>seem to not be working.
>
>Fredrik, Is that what you're seeing? However, if you want to use C-{,
>you need to press C-S-[ which is treated as C-{.
>
>On that note, it would be useful to detach the two: C-a and C-A
>(C-S-a) doing different things.
>
>On 4/19/2017 10:33 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
>>> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:22:15 +0200
>>>

>>> C-S does not work for me on Windows 10, neither in 25.1.1 nor 23.4.1
>> What do you mean by "does not work"? what happens if you try?
>>
>> Also, it's Ctrl-s, i.e. hold the Control key and then press the
>> lower-case s key.  Is that what you are doing?

I am trying to search, i.e. invoke isearch-forward. I hold down left
control, and press S. (No shift). Emacs does not react. When I do C-h k
C-s, the minibuffer message 'Describe key (or click or menu item)' stays
in the minibuffer. If I do M-x global-set-key C-s, the message 'Set key
globally:' stays in the minibuffer.

When I use remote desktop to other computers, C-s does work.

Other control keys work, so I have bound isearch-forward to C-\.
--

@ 2017-04-20 15:13           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 09:56:24 +0200
>
> I am trying to search, i.e. invoke isearch-forward. I hold down left
> control, and press S. (No shift). Emacs does not react. When I do C-h k
> C-s, the minibuffer message 'Describe key (or click or menu item)' stays
> in the minibuffer. If I do M-x global-set-key C-s, the message 'Set key
> globally:' stays in the minibuffer.

That probably means some package you installed or some optional
feature you turned on catches C-s keystrokes and Emacs doesn't see
them.

* Re: emacs for win10
@ 2017-04-24  4:46             ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2017-04-24  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 09:56:24 +0200
>>
>> I am trying to search, i.e. invoke isearch-forward. I hold down left
>> control, and press S. (No shift). Emacs does not react. When I do C-h k
>> C-s, the minibuffer message 'Describe key (or click or menu item)' stays
>> in the minibuffer. If I do M-x global-set-key C-s, the message 'Set key
>> globally:' stays in the minibuffer.
>
>That probably means some package you installed or some optional
>feature you turned on catches C-s keystrokes and Emacs doesn't see
>them.

Indeed, it went away when I restarted the machine. I have no idea what
stole C-s.