all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-28 19:03 mans
From: mans @ 2007-04-28 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

     I am new in VHDL and Emacs and I tried to use Emacs for editing VHDL
and attaching it to ISE. My experience is as follow:

Overall:

Emacs has a very good editor for VHDL editing. It has several good features
such as auto indentation and syntax highlighting. Over all it is very good
if you can use it (I could not!)

What I did:

I download my copy of Emacs from
http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html . I installed it in my
windows XP professional system and setup ISE to use it. It works well with
ISE.

Problems that I had:

1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
wmacsw32 without any success.

2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

3-      I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

4-      I can not find any documentation on facilities which are available
in VHDL mode.

5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
disappears!

Best regards

Ps: Does Eclipse support VHDL?

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-28 19:38 ` Mike Treseler
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Treseler @ 2007-04-28 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mans wrote:

> 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based.

True, but the the arrow keys, and mouse, and menus
work without knowing any shortcuts.

> 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

True. I just leave it running all day.

> 3-      I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
> turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

That requires vhdl-mode and speedbar.
vhdl-mode.el is not included in most windows distributions,
get it here:
http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/emacs/vhdl-mode.html

> Ps: Does Eclipse support VHDL?

Not like it support Java.

    -- Mike Treseler

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-29  0:30 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2661.1177807020.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myname_here; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mans wrote:

> Problems that I had:

Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them fixed.

> 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
> wmacsw32 without any success.

Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
setup for those things if you use the menus:

    Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...

> 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.

Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main
things the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with.
Several shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through
EmacsClient. There is one in the start menu and you get one in the
SendTo menu. If you prefer working from the command line there is a
command line script called e.cmd for this.

If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
(For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself,
please read the Emacs manual.)

> 5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> disappears!

  Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?

@ 2007-04-29 14:47   ` mans
From: mans @ 2007-04-29 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them fixed.

Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.

>> 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to
>> configure wmacsw32 without any success.
>
> Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
> setup for those things if you use the menus:
>
>    Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...

I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option and
it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in this
case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.

>> 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)
>
> You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.
>
> Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main things
> the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several
> shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient.
> There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If you
> prefer working from the command line there is a command line script called
> e.cmd for this.
>
> If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
> automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
> (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself, please
> read the Emacs manual.)

I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
with this but  as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
need to restart it. I am happy!

>> 5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
>> disappears!
>
>  Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?

It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the details
if it happens again to me.

More on new and old problems that I have:

1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The problem
is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into emacs
so it doesn't start as a new window?

2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs, I
can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or by
any other tools?

One suggestion:

  As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any way
to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?

My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to use
it with VHDL.

Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-30  9:57     ` JK
From: JK @ 2007-04-30  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 29, 7:47 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)_123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them fixed.
>
> Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.
>

> >> 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to
> >> configure wmacsw32 without any success.
>
> > Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
> > setup for those things if you use the menus:
>
> >    Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...
>
> I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option and
> it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in this
> case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.
>

> >> 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)
>
> > You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.
>
> > Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main things
> > the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several
> > shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient.
> > There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If you
> > prefer working from the command line there is a command line script called
> > e.cmd for this.
>
> > If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
> > automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
> > (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself, please
> > read the Emacs manual.)
>
> I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
> with this but  as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
> need to restart it. I am happy!
>
> >> 5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> >> disappears!
>
> >  Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?
>
> It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the details
> if it happens again to me.
>
> More on new and old problems that I have:
>
> 1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The problem
> is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into emacs
> so it doesn't start as a new window?
>
> 2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs, I
> can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or by
> any other tools?
>
> One suggestion:
>
>   As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any way
> to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?
>
> My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to use
> it with VHDL.
>
> Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.- Hide quoted text -

I downloaded emacs - windows version from http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl
(Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.

JK

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-30 11:27       ` mans
From: mans @ 2007-04-30 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"JK" <krishna.janumanchi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
>> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or
>> by
>> any other tools?
>>
>> One suggestion:
>>
>>   As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any
>> way
>> to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?
>>
>> My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to
>> use
>> it with VHDL.
>>
>> Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.- Hide quoted text -

> I downloaded emacs - windows version from
> http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl
> (Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
> It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.

If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
use it?
In my setup, emacs is runs every  time and also when I click on an error in
ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.

Best regards

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-30 12:02         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-30 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myname_here; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mans wrote:

> If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
> use it?
> In my setup, emacs is runs every  time and also when I click on an error in
> ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.

I know nothing about ISE, but is sounds like you have bound it to Emacs
directly instead of to emacsclientw.exe / emacsclient.exe.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-30 15:59         ` JK
From: JK @ 2007-04-30 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 4:27 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)_123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "JK" <krishna.januman...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.

> >> I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option
> >> and
> >> it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in
> >> this
> >> case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.

> >> I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
> >> with this but  as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
> >> need to restart it. I am happy!

> >> It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the
> >> details
> >> if it happens again to me.
>
> >> More on new and old problems that I have:
>
> >> 1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The
> >> problem
> >> is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into
> >> emacs
> >> so it doesn't start as a new window?
>
> >> 2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs,
> >> can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
> >> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
> >> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or
> >> by
> >> any other tools?
>
> >> One suggestion:
>
> >>   As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any
> >> way
> >> to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?
>
> >> My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to
> >> use
> >> it with VHDL.
>
> >> Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.- Hide quoted text -

> > I downloaded emacs - windows version from
> >http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl
> > (Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
> > It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.
>
> > JK
>
> If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
> use it?
> In my setup, emacs is runs every  time and also when I click on an error in
> ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.
>
> Best regards- Hide quoted text -

No, I am not using Emacs with ISE.  For Design Entry I am using
Emacs32 only and in this, I set Compiler as Modelsim.
So, once I complete my coding, I do compilation in Emacs32 itself to
check syntax errors if any.

Regards,
JK

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-04-30 19:47       ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2007-04-30 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

JK wrote:

> I downloaded emacs - windows version from
> http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl
> (Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
> It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.

I just did. That's the best windows install I've seen.
Speedbar and vhdl-mode are built-in and *work*.

However, I'll keep my linux box until
there is a real shell integrated
just as well.

          -- Mike Treseler

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2661.1177807020.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-10  2:00 ` JussiJ
From: JussiJ @ 2007-05-10  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mans (myname_here) wrote:

> Over all it is very good if you can use it (I could not!)

You could try the Zeus for Windows IDE:

   http://www.zeusedit.com
   NOTE: Zeus is shareware.

It should be easy enough to configure Zeus for VHDL.

FWIW the next Zeus release will come with better configuration
for VHDL and will also add code folding for the VHDL language.

> Problems that I had:
>
> 1-  Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried
>     to configure wmacsw32 without any success.

The Zeus keyboard is Windows aware and is also fully configurable.

> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

Generally Zeus will load in less than a second.

> 3-  I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I
> can not turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

Zeus provides code hierarchy via the information provided by
the ctags utility.

I am not sure if ctags supports VHDL, but if it does this information
should apear in the class panel of the navigator.

Cheers Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-10  8:58         ` mit.brooks
From: mit.brooks @ 2007-05-10  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
> use it?
> In my setup, emacs is runs every  time and also when I click on an error in
> ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.
>
> Best regards

I use Emacs with ISE -
go to http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iLanguageID=1&iCountryID=1&getPagePath=13713
to find out how to integrate emacs with ISE.
$2 = line number, $1 = file name

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-10 11:33 ` Marcus Harnisch
From: Marcus Harnisch @ 2007-05-10 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"mans" <(myname_here)_123456@yahoo.com> writes:
> Emacs has a very good editor for VHDL editing. It has several good features
> such as auto indentation and syntax highlighting. Over all it is very good
> if you can use it (I could not!)

This sounds like a good start. Don't let yourself get discouraged.

> 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
> wmacsw32 without any success.

Personally, I use XEmacs (Linux, Win32 native) which might be a little
different. Here, the old-school windows shortcuts for copy/paste do work
(C-Insert, S-Insert, etc.). The others, C-c in particular won't and I
would not recommend changing the mappings. pc-select mode gives you
the selection behavior using S-right/left/up/down (cursor keys).

> 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

Depends on what your config file looks like. I'd consider using the
clients.

> 3-      I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
> turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

You will have to load a package called "speedbar". If that has not
been installed already you can get it from
    http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

> 4-      I can not find any documentation on facilities which are available
> in VHDL mode.

In VHDL mode type: C-c C-h

> 5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> disappears!

Dunno.

Regards
-- Marcus

note that "property" can also be used as syntaxtic sugar to reference
a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

             (seen on http://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-10 13:54     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-05-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 29, 3:47 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)_123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs, I
> can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or by
> any other tools?

That indicates that your file is stored with odd line endings.

Generally there are two styles of line ending, "Carriage Return" +
"Line Feed" CRLF which is used in MSDOS.  And simple Line-Feed (LF)
endings, used in Unix and now in Windows.

What Emacs does is to read the file and find out which sort of endings
are in use and automatically default to the right ones.  The problem
here is likely that you are saving the file with LF endings and
opening it again with ISE which uses CRLF endings.  Emacs doesn't
expect the endings to change as you edit the file.

The solution is probably to open and save the files initially using
CRLF endings.  So, to fix this open up your file using Emacs and type
C-x RET f "dos" RET.  Or select the menu Options->Mule->Set coding
systems->For Saving this Buffer.

Post again if doing the above doesn't work.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-11 13:18   ` Andy
From: Andy @ 2007-05-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 10, 6:33 am, Marcus Harnisch <marcus.harni...@gmx.net> wrote:
> "mans" <(myname_here)_123...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Emacs has a very good editor for VHDL editing. It has several good features
> > such as auto indentation and syntax highlighting. Over all it is very good
> > if you can use it (I could not!)
>
> This sounds like a good start. Don't let yourself get discouraged.
>
> > 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
> > wmacsw32 without any success.
>
> Personally, I use XEmacs (Linux, Win32 native) which might be a little
> different. Here, the old-school windows shortcuts for copy/paste do work
> (C-Insert, S-Insert, etc.). The others, C-c in particular won't and I
> would not recommend changing the mappings. pc-select mode gives you
> the selection behavior using S-right/left/up/down (cursor keys).
>
> > 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)
>
> Depends on what your config file looks like. I'd consider using the
> clients.
>
> > 3-      I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
> > turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).
>
> You will have to load a package called "speedbar". If that has not
> been installed already you can get it from
>    http://cedet.sourceforge.net/
>
> > 4-      I can not find any documentation on facilities which are available
> > in VHDL mode.
>
> In VHDL mode type: C-c C-h
>
> > 5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> > disappears!
>
> Dunno.
>
> Regards
> -- Marcus
>
> note that "property" can also be used as syntaxtic sugar to reference
> a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]
>
>              (seen onhttp://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)

I use xemacs with cua mode and it handles most of the windows
shortcuts (including C-c, C-x and C-v). I had to set another couple of
options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.
I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!

If you really cannot stomach the rest of the emacs wizardy, try jGrasp
(free) from University of Auburn. It has very good highlighting and
indentation (it does not autocapitalize). It also can insert Control
Structure Diagram (CSD) graphics in the left margin/whitespace
including buttons for collapsing/expanding code segments, etc. Mousing
over the appropriate CSD graphic then shows you the top of that
control structure (process/loop/if-then/case, etc), and if it was off
screen, it temporarily shows it on the top row. It uses java and is
portable between unix/linux and windows, but it is not slow like some
other java based editors.

Andy

* RE: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-11 19:31     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-11 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy, help-gnu-emacs

> I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
> code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
> additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!

You were writing about XEmacs, which I'm not very familiar with. But in GNU
Emacs, at least as far back as version 20, you can use `M-y' during
incremental search to search for the text in the region. So, just "select a
word or phrase in the code" in whatever way you like (e.g. mouse), and use
`M-y' during isearch to append that text to the search pattern.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14  8:07     ` Martin Thompson
From: Martin Thompson @ 2007-05-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andy <jonesandy@comcast.net> writes:

> I use xemacs with cua mode and it handles most of the windows
> shortcuts (including C-c, C-x and C-v). I had to set another couple of
> options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.
> I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
> code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
> additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!

Hi Andy,

Does C-s, M-y do what you want?

This calls up a search and pastes your previous copy into it.  I have
C-s bound to isearch-forward, which may be non-default.  C-s might be
a normal (non-incremental) search, in which case, C-s, C-y might do
the trick?

Alternatively, "M-x occur" is useful, it opens another window listing
which lines a particular phrase (well, regexp) occurs in.  If you
like it, bind a key for that too :-)

I also have a key bound to mark and copy the word/signalname/etc that
is under the cursor, all in one go. which is quite handy for these
sorts of things...

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 17:07     ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2007-05-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andy wrote:

>  I had to set another couple of
> options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.

I do that with query-replace.

> I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
> code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
> additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!

Like most tasks, it's easy once you know how to do it :)

C-s

Then type enough letters to see the instances light up.

C-s again to jump to the next instance, etc.

     -- Mike Treseler

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 18:07       ` Andy
From: Andy @ 2007-05-14 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 14, 12:07 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> >  I had to set another couple of
> > options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.
>
> I do that with query-replace.
>
> > I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
> > code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
> > additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!
>
> Like most tasks, it's easy once you know how to do it :)
>
> C-s
>
> Then type enough letters to see the instances light up.
>
> C-s again to jump to the next instance, etc.
>
>      -- Mike Treseler

Mike,

Thanks, but I already know how to use C-s (that's what I end up
using). Unfortunately, it still requires me to type the word (or
enough of it to be sufficiently unique) to start the search. I was
looking for something that allows me to select an existing word,
usually a port or signal/variable name (with mouse or keyboard), and
search for other occurrences of that word. Typing the entire word gets
tedious when using long names with specific suffixes, which require
that virtually the entire name be re-typed. When in I-search (C-s), a
C-v (paste) does not act like I typed it, but actually inserts the
copy buffer at the cursor location. It's like the C-v operation
overrides the fact that one is already in I-search mode.

Andy

* RE: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 18:47         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-14 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> C-s ... Unfortunately, it still requires me to type the word...
> to start the search. I was looking for something that allows me
> to select an existing word... (with mouse or keyboard), and
> search for other occurrences of that word. ...

C-s M-y appends copied text to the search string.

C-s M-w appends the word starting at the cursor to the search string.
Use additional M-w to append additional words.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 18:51         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andy wrote:
> On May 14, 12:07 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>>  I had to set another couple of
>>> options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.
>> I do that with query-replace.
>>
>>> I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
>>> code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
>>> additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!
>> Like most tasks, it's easy once you know how to do it :)
>>
>> C-s
>>
>> Then type enough letters to see the instances light up.
>>
>> C-s again to jump to the next instance, etc.
>>
>>      -- Mike Treseler
>
> Mike,
>
> Thanks, but I already know how to use C-s (that's what I end up
> using). Unfortunately, it still requires me to type the word (or
> enough of it to be sufficiently unique) to start the search. I was
> looking for something that allows me to select an existing word,
> usually a port or signal/variable name (with mouse or keyboard), and
> search for other occurrences of that word. Typing the entire word gets
> tedious when using long names with specific suffixes, which require
> that virtually the entire name be re-typed. When in I-search (C-s), a
> C-v (paste) does not act like I typed it, but actually inserts the
> copy buffer at the cursor location. It's like the C-v operation
> overrides the fact that one is already in I-search mode.

You can use M-y to yank (ie paste) text into the C-s search string.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 18:56           ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> C-s ... Unfortunately, it still requires me to type the word...
>> to start the search. I was looking for something that allows me
>> to select an existing word... (with mouse or keyboard), and
>> search for other occurrences of that word. ...
>
> C-s M-y appends copied text to the search string.
>
> C-s M-w appends the word starting at the cursor to the search string.
> Use additional M-w to append additional words.

Should that be C-s C-w?

* RE: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 19:02             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-14 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> >> C-s ... Unfortunately, it still requires me to type the word...
> >> to start the search. I was looking for something that allows me
> >> to select an existing word... (with mouse or keyboard), and
> >> search for other occurrences of that word. ...
> >
> > C-s M-y appends copied text to the search string.
> >
> > C-s M-w appends the word starting at the cursor to the search string.
> > Use additional M-w to append additional words.
>
> Should that be C-s C-w?

Yes, sorry. That's what happens when the fingers typing about fingers typing
don't talk to the typing fingers before typing.

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-14 19:10         ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2007-05-14 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andy wrote:

> I was
> looking for something that allows me to select an existing word,
> usually a port or signal/variable name (with mouse or keyboard), and
> search for other occurrences of that word. Typing the entire word gets
> tedious when using long names with specific suffixes, which require
> that virtually the entire name be re-typed.

I would just mark with the mouse then, C-s
and paste into the mini-buffer with
the center mouse key. Then C-s, C-s, ...

           -- Mike Treseler

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-15 13:28           ` Andy
From: Andy @ 2007-05-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 14, 2:10 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > I was
> > looking for something that allows me to select an existing word,
> > usually a port or signal/variable name (with mouse or keyboard), and
> > search for other occurrences of that word. Typing the entire word gets
> > tedious when using long names with specific suffixes, which require
> > that virtually the entire name be re-typed.
>
> I would just mark with the mouse then, C-s
> and paste into the mini-buffer with
> the center mouse key. Then C-s, C-s, ...
>
>            -- Mike Treseler

Mike,

Thanks! that works!

Is there a keyboard equivalent of center mouse key?

Andy

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-15 13:57             ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-15 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andy <jonesandy@comcast.net> writes:

> Is there a keyboard equivalent of center mouse key?
Go with point (cursor) on the first letter of a word then:
C-s C-w or for expanding the marking
C-s C-w C-w ...

Seweryn

* RE: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-15 14:01             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-15 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy, help-gnu-emacs

> > I would just mark with the mouse then, C-s
> > and paste into the mini-buffer with
> > the center mouse key. Then C-s, C-s, ...
>
> Thanks! that works!
>
> Is there a keyboard equivalent of center mouse key?

As has been stated by several people in this thread already:
during incremental search, `M-y'.

(Outside of incremental search, the equivalent is of course `C-y'.)

* Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
@ 2007-05-15 16:49             ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2007-05-15 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andy wrote:

> Mike,
> Thanks! that works!
> Is there a keyboard equivalent of center mouse key?

Well, there is a function.
C-h k click2 says:

<mouse-2> at that spot runs the command mouse-insert-selection
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `mouse-sel'.
(mouse-insert-selection EVENT)

But if I don't press the mouse button
there is no interrupt, and I don't get the
right coordinates.

In any case, Pontus has already converted me
to click1, C-s, C-w, ...
That's easier on my right hand.

             -- Mike Treseler