all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Do you look-up online dictionaries within Emacs?
@ 2014-10-02 18:15 H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-10-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I need often bilingual dictionaries like the excellent leo.org and
dict.cc; dict.el with the dict servers is not really an option.  At the
moment I'm using mostly my mobile phone as portable dictionary but I'd
rather want do this within Emacs.

There seem to be at least 3 solutions:

x-dict.el
http://www.xsteve.at/prg/python/

r-dict.el
https://github.com/tsdh/rdictcc

eww
but leo.org and dict.cc are barely readable in eww

What is working for you?

Thanks
       Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: Do you look-up online dictionaries within Emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.10290.1412273764.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-03 10:28 ` Vlad Piersec
From: Vlad Piersec @ 2014-10-03 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You could try google translate https://github.com/atykhonov/google-translate.

* Re: Do you look-up online dictionaries within Emacs?
@ 2014-10-04  9:23   ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-10-04  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Vlad

Vlad Piersec <vlad.piersec@gmail.com> writes:
> You could try google translate
> https://github.com/atykhonov/google-translate.

Very good, this seems to be an alternative programmed purely Elisp!

I'm not sure if Google-Translate is already as good as dict.cc or
leo.org but I'll compare it and at least I could learn from your example
how to query an internet service with the means of Elisp.

Thanks a lot
       Dieter
--

@ 2014-10-08  1:33 ` Chris F.A. Johnson
From: Chris F.A. Johnson @ 2014-10-08  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: H. Dieter Wilhelm

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, H. Dieter Wilhelm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need often bilingual dictionaries like the excellent leo.org and
> dict.cc; dict.el with the dict servers is not really an option.  At the
> moment I'm using mostly my mobile phone as portable dictionary but I'd
> rather want do this within Emacs.
>
> There seem to be at least 3 solutions:
>
> x-dict.el
> http://www.xsteve.at/prg/python/
>
> r-dict.el
> https://github.com/tsdh/rdictcc
>
> eww
> but leo.org and dict.cc are barely readable in eww
>
> What is working for you?

   I use eedic and dict/dictd running on my own computer.

   s-d looks up the word under the cursor and displays the result in a second window.

   s-n finds any singleword anagrams of the word under the cursor.

   s-w uses Wordplay by Evans Crisswell to list all words that can be
   made from the letters in the current word as well as multiword
   anagrams.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>