all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compile mode buffer name customization
@ 2020-11-11 16:23 Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2020-11-11 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I customized compile mode some time ago to add the command name
(suitably sanitized) to the buffer name.  That way I have a complete
history of all the compiles I have run and their output.

This stopped working at some point (haven't upgraded in a long time).  I
saw a note to the effect that emacs lisp switched to lexical scoping?  I
was using the "command" variable in my hook but it is no longer
accessible apparently due to the scoping change?

Any easy solutions here?  Just having the mode name for the buffer name
hook is a bit of a limitation.

Joe Buehler

* Re: compile mode buffer name customization
@ 2020-11-11 18:16 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-11-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Buehler <aspam@cox.net> writes:

> This stopped working at some point (haven't upgraded in a long time).  I
> saw a note to the effect that emacs lisp switched to lexical scoping?  I
> was using the "command" variable in my hook but it is no longer
> accessible apparently due to the scoping change?

Looks like that.

> Any easy solutions here?  Just having the mode name for the buffer name
> hook is a bit of a limitation.

(car compilation-arguments) maybe?  But I haven't studied the code,
maybe there is a better solution.

Michael.