Hello Corwin, before installing emacs-29.2.50_bug#58756-installer.exe I have installed emacs-29.2-installer.exe . The latter has created a Start Menu group emacs 29.2 with two icons - emacs and uninstall. After installing emacs-29.2.50_bug#58756-installer.exe it creates separate Start Menu directory 29.2.50. The Start menu Emacs 29.2/uninstall disappears. After clicking Start Menu/emacs 29.2.50/uninstall the entry Emacs 29.2/uninstall appears again, but it is now dysfunctional. Apart from this, uninstalling 29.2.50 does remove the Start Menu entries it has created. I cannot test if two different versions work during install/uninstall as expected, since I have no two different versions which are at the same time “fixed”. Kind regards Дилян На 11 февруари 2024 г. 22:56:17 UTC, Corwin Brust написа: >tags 68756 + patch >thanks > >Дилян, I have created an installer based on the attached patch and >posted it to my own site. If you try that out please let me know what >you think. > >https://bru.st/i/emacs-29.2.50_bug%2358756-installer.exe > >Note, this is based on the "tip" of the emacs-29 branch, and not built >from the release sources for no other reason than expediency: I am >running a CI locally so I can easily test changes to the NSI installer >without (especially) compiling other things. And that also means I'm >quite open to trying things, if we come up with more adventurous >changes than those proposed here. > >Reprising your original expectations: > >> • Uninstalling emacs should remove the Start Menu directories, created during installing emacs. > >This is fixed, I believe, however a bug remains (I will file a new bug >given we wind up taking things in pieces, as I'm suggesting): >customizing the name of the Start Menu folder isn't working for me >with or without this patch. Meanwhile: > >> • Installing emacs should ask to first remove the previously installed emacs version, as long as it does not do inplace upgrade (substitution). > >Per this patch I did not add any Sections or controls, however a given >uninstaller will no-longer delete any other versions beside the one it >installed. > >I am open to better and more dramatic changes, but I think it might >make sense to work in stages, perhaps under quite granular bug >reports. In any event, I expect to "work my way up" to any more >complex changes needed to the NSI script incrementally. > >Stefan, > >I think the attached minimal change, plus the other patch for not >needing to "accept" licensing in 67667 (which tracker I've added in >CC), would be a good basis for making a 29.2_2. Ideally, we could >push these two and then I will create a 29.2_2 set. From there, I'll >probably focus on improving things for the 30.1 series pre-tests >notwithstanding "show stoppers" with the top-of-stack 29.x binaries. >I can work on (each of) this smaller changes as much as needed, but >I'd like to keep the installer simple while we do. (E.g. defer adding >any new Sections/pages or controls we can live without until Emacs >30.) > >As an example of something not addressed by the patch, only the mostly >recently installed Emacs can be uninstalled. To address that will >require giving each uninstaller a unique name as part of creating it >under the installation target directory. I'm fairly confident I'll >get that right, but I'm not as confident as I am of the one attached. >Moreover, I would prioritize fixing the issue of (potentially) >deleting several installed versions without mentioning (which, Дилян, >thank you again for reporting that that is happening). > > >Corwin