all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#3700: 23.1.50; verbose execution of configure script, determining the maximal length of command arguments
@ 2009-06-28 11:04 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-28 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

The configure script of (lib)m17n-lib 1.5.4 is buggy and fails at
line #32967. The report was unclear or misleading (I found that the
function PKG_CHECK_MODULES() does not seem to be defined), so I tried
to run it in a *compilation* buffer as 'sh -x ./configure' – and
after twelve hours it hasn't finished. Within minutes it finished in
GNU Emacs 21.3.50 and 22.3 – and also in *shell* buffer in GNU Emacs
23.1.50. In the *compilation* buffers of GNU Emacs 23.0.60, 23.0.94,
and 23.1.50 the progress is slower than a snail when the script tries
in a loop to determine the maximal length of command arguments.
"Words" with a length of a few K obviously cause this stop.

For the test I launched all five Emacsen with -Q, opened the prepared
copy of the original directory in dired-mode, invoked M-x compile RET
and changed the default 'make -k' into 'time nice +19 sh -x ./
configure' without pressing RET at once. After all lines were
prepared in mini-buffer I pressed RET in each.

The GNU Emacsen 23.x are all not really responsive (the system is, I
can move around the frames, I can resize them, but the windows do not
refresh), changing to the other window works, but reaching the end of
the buffer might succeed tomorrow. When GNU Emacs 23.1.50 was running
with all my customisation, the time in mode-line was updated in
intervals of around 10 min.

GNU Emacs 23.0.60 refreshes fastest…

--
Greetings
   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-06-28 11:04 UTC | newest]