all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#3174: NS font selection still broken
@ 2009-10-29 18:18 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-10-29 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: 3174, Christopher Menzel

Adrian, readers of bugs 3174 and 3588,

There are still some bad issues with the font selection in the NS port.

For example, take the following unicode characters:

[∃]  2203  THERE EXISTS
[∄]  2204  THERE DOES NOT EXIST
[∈]  2208  ELEMENT OF

They are rendered perfectly in the Carbon port (at least in Aquamacs).

In NS, it uses Symbol for 2203, even though the glyph is available in
the default font (like Monaco or Lucida Grande).
As a consequence, the symbol looks very small and is unreadable.

As for 2203, it also uses Symbol, even though Symbol doesn't even have
the glyph.

This is on Snow Leopard.

I'm wondering if this is this the same bug as #3588.  I would write to
emacs-devel to ask for help, but I don't even know what exactly the
problem is in the underlying code, and whether this is NS specific (I
guess so)...   I can happily file another bug report so we've got
something to ignore :)

Let me know what if I can help.

Thanks
- David