I checked in a fix to the basic routine deciding which text to show in the tooltip. Please retry with latest master. If the crash still occurs please proceed as follows: (1) Try with `x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' nil. This should tell whether GTK tooltip handling interferes with our routines. (2) Try the attached diff. When the crash occurs please do p old_len_0 p new_len_0 in the debugger and post the values it prints. This should tell whether a timer is added while we construct the list for the copy. Undo the change after you're done. Thank you, martin