all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Compatible .emacs for Gnu and xemacs
@ 2009-06-01  1:46 emacsy
From: emacsy @ 2009-06-01  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,
I have spent a lot of time customizing my .emacs file to work with GNU emacs
21.
Now I am in a situation where I can only use xemacs.
How is it possible to modify my .emacs file to work with both Gnu Emacs and
xemacs?
Any tips/pointers/links are highly appreciated, could not find anything
online refereeing to this issue.

* Re: Compatible .emacs for Gnu and xemacs
@ 2009-06-01  8:38 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-01  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacsy; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.06.2009 um 03:46 schrieb emacsy:

> How is it possible to modify my .emacs file to work with both Gnu
> Emacs and
> xemacs?

(if (string= "21" emacs-major-version)
    ...)

(if (featurep 'xemacs)	; or 'emacs
    ...)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
				– Rich Cook

* RE: Compatible .emacs for Gnu and xemacs
@ 2009-06-01 16:26   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-06-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Peter Dyballa', 'emacsy'; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

> (if (string= "21" emacs-major-version) ...)

`emacs-major-version' returns a number, not a string.

(if (= 21 emacs-major-version) ...)

* Re: Compatible .emacs for Gnu and xemacs
@ 2009-06-01 18:27 ` emacsy
       [not found] ` <mailman.8292.1243880888.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: emacsy @ 2009-06-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your responses guys.
What I meant is actually porting/migrating my customizations in .emacs to
work with xmeacs.
So now when starting emacs, it picks up all the
colors/functions/bindings...etc
where when starting xemacs, it does not pick up anything from .emacs and
shows plain basic xemacs.
I learned that xemacs uses other files for customizations like .xemacs?
So how could I make my customizations in .emacs be picked up by xemacs?

@ 2009-06-01 18:31   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-06-01 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacsy; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM, emacsy <hisnawi@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your responses guys.
> What I meant is actually porting/migrating my customizations in .emacs to
> work with xmeacs.
> So now when starting emacs, it picks up all the
> colors/functions/bindings...etc
> where when starting xemacs, it does not pick up anything from .emacs and
> shows plain basic xemacs.
> I learned that xemacs uses other files for customizations like .xemacs?
> So how could I make my customizations in .emacs be picked up by xemacs?

You will probably get more help on that on an xemacs mailing list. I
suppose people here mostly do not know.

@ 2009-06-01 18:37   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-06-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'emacsy', Help-gnu-emacs

> What I meant is actually porting/migrating my customizations
> in .emacs to
> work with xmeacs.
> So now when starting emacs, it picks up all the
> colors/functions/bindings...etc
> where when starting xemacs, it does not pick up anything from
> .emacs and
> shows plain basic xemacs.
> I learned that xemacs uses other files for customizations
> like .xemacs?
> So how could I make my customizations in .emacs be picked up
> by xemacs?

Look for help about this on the Emacs wiki. Search for `xemacs' in the search
box. Here's one starting place:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsAndXEmacs

However, the wiki seems to be out of order at the moment - try a little later.
;-)

Things like faces are likely to pose a bit of a problem, IIRC. See the wiki page
about XEmacs extents.

@ 2009-06-01 18:38   ` Chris Jones
From: Chris Jones @ 2009-06-01 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

emacsy <hisnawi@hotmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your responses guys.
> What I meant is actually porting/migrating my customizations in .emacs to
> work with xmeacs.
> So now when starting emacs, it picks up all the
> colors/functions/bindings...etc
> where when starting xemacs, it does not pick up anything from .emacs and
> shows plain basic xemacs.
> I learned that xemacs uses other files for customizations like .xemacs?
> So how could I make my customizations in .emacs be picked up by xemacs?

Here's how I do it:

My .emacs starts with this comment:

;; Xemacs doesn't read this file, but we use Xemacs' init file in Emacs.
;; However, Emacs does its own customizations.

After a bunch of code useful only in Emacs rather than Xemacs, it ends
with:

(let ((xemacs-init-file
       (expand-file-name "init.el" "~/.xemacs")))
  (load-file xemacs-init-file))

Inside the xemacs-init-file file, there is the following comment:

;; Note: this file is shared by FSF Emacs and Xemacs, hence the
;; "(featurep 'xemacs)" conditionializations below.

Then, code that only is needed or works in Xemacs has

(when (featurep 'xemacs) ...)

wrapped around it and code that only is needed or works in Emacs has

(unless (featurep 'xemacs) ...)

wrapped around it.

e.g. the following lines are in init.el:

  (when (featurep 'xemacs)
      (set-variable 'default-toolbar-visible-p nil))

Hope this helps.

* Re: Compatible .emacs for Gnu and xemacs
@ 2009-06-01 18:48   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-01 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacsy; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.06.2009 um 20:27 schrieb emacsy:

> I learned that xemacs uses other files for customizations
> like .xemacs?
> So how could I make my customizations in .emacs be picked up by
> xemacs?

Hard-link them: two names for one file.

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar

* Re: Compatible .emacs for Gnu and xemacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.8292.1243880888.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-01 19:01 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2009-06-01 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacsy; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

emacsy wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have spent a lot of time customizing my .emacs file to work with GNU emacs
> 21.
> Now I am in a situation where I can only use xemacs.
> How is it possible to modify my .emacs file to work with both Gnu Emacs and
> xemacs?
> Any tips/pointers/links are highly appreciated, could not find anything
> online refereeing to this issue.

Its important to use a key format accepted by both. I use this for example:

(global-set-key [(control x)(c)] 'electric-buffer-list)