all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to do a Ctl-Grave key binding?
@ 2013-03-16 12:17 zeb7k
From: zeb7k @ 2013-03-16 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I want to do a Ctl-Grave key binding.  Just to be clear, grave, AKA backtick, is the key below ~ (tilde) on most PC keyboards.

Hi, I've tried several variations of the last line from my .EMACS startup below but cannot get it to compile.  (I think once I did have a syntax that would compile but then if I actually tried to use the sequence it would not respond.)

Does anyone know a sequence that will work?

I am using GNU EMACS 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601).

   (global-set-key [C-tab] 'my-own-specialized-indent)
   (global-set-key [C-`] 'my-own-specialized-outdent)

* Re: How to do a Ctl-Grave key binding?
@ 2013-03-17  1:29 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2013-03-17  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi, I want to do a Ctl-Grave key binding.  Just to be clear, grave, AKA backtick, is the key below ~ (tilde) on most PC keyboards.
>
> Hi, I've tried several variations of the last line from my .EMACS startup below but cannot get it to compile.  (I think once I did have a syntax that would compile but then if I actually tried to use the sequence it would not respond.)
>
> Does anyone know a sequence that will work?
>
> I am using GNU EMACS 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601).
>
>    (global-set-key [C-tab] 'my-own-specialized-indent)
>    (global-set-key [C-`] 'my-own-specialized-outdent)

I could evaluate this form:

(global-set-key [(control \`)] (lambda () (interactive) (insert  "hello" )))

so I think you could substitute your function for the lambda.

Ed

* RE: How to do a Ctl-Grave key binding?
@ 2013-03-17  2:26 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-03-17  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zeb7k, help-gnu-emacs

> Hi, I want to do a Ctl-Grave key binding.  Just to be clear,
> grave, AKA backtick, is the key below ~ (tilde) on most PC keyboards.

Aka backquote.

> Does anyone know a sequence that will work?
>    (global-set-key [C-`] 'my-own-specialized-outdent)

(global-set-key (kbd "C-`") 'my-own-specialized-outdent)