all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Could anybody share the setting of their emacs for programming purpose?
@ 2007-10-19  5:06 Mike H
From: Mike H @ 2007-10-19  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Could anybody share the setting of their emacs for programming
purpose?
I am relatively a newbie in using emacs, and I don't like the default
settings especially the font..

Could anybody generously share their portions of their .emacs file
corresponding to the font settings?

Sorry for being a newbie in this area.. but sometimes, even if I use
other people's .emacs file , the fonts don't show up.. the fonts in my
computer might be messed up..

where do i download the fonts ? I am using redhat 4.

Thanks!

* Re: Could anybody share the setting of their emacs for programming purpose?
@ 2007-10-19  5:28 ` Martin Fischer
       [not found] ` <mailman.2287.1192783750.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Fischer @ 2007-10-19  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  > Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:06:37 -0700
  >
  > Could anybody share the setting of their emacs for programming
  > purpose?
  > I am relatively a newbie in using emacs, and I don't like the default
  > settings especially the font..
  >
  > Could anybody generously share their portions of their .emacs file
  > corresponding to the font settings?
  >
  > Sorry for being a newbie in this area.. but sometimes, even if I use
  > other people's .emacs file , the fonts don't show up.. the fonts in my
  > computer might be messed up..
  >
  > where do i download the fonts ? I am using redhat 4.
  >
  > Thanks!

Hi,

try M-x set-default-font RET TAB TAB and you will be prompted with all
available fonts.

Cheers

Martin
--
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: Could anybody share the setting of their emacs for programming purpose?
@ 2007-10-19  8:48 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2287.1192783750.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike H; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.10.2007 um 07:06 schrieb Mike H:

> where do i download the fonts ? I am using redhat 4.

It's pretty old ... GNU Emacs, running in X11, gets its fonts from
the X server. To install additional fonts (I think that is what you
mean with "download"), you would either need to do this into one of
the directories described by font path (xset -q) (and don't forget to
run mkfontdir in each updated directory!) or add a new and additional
element to font path which names the directory where you installed
the new fonts.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
                                            -- Robert Heinlein

* Re: Could anybody share the setting of their emacs for programming purpose?
@ 2007-10-19 18:53   ` Mike H
From: Mike H @ 2007-10-19 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

From: Mike H @ 2007-10-19 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10 19 ,   4 48 , Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 19.10.2007 um 07:06 schrieb Mike H:
>
> > where do i download the fonts ? I am using redhat 4.
>
> It's pretty old ... GNU Emacs, running in X11, gets its fonts from
> the X server. To install additional fonts (I think that is what you
> mean with "download"), you would either need to do this into one of
> the directories described by font path (xset -q) (and don't forget to
> run mkfontdir in each updated directory!) or add a new and additional
> element to font path which names the directory where you installed
> the new fonts.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
> not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
>                                             -- Robert Heinlein

Thanks!