all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 20:45:58 -0700	[thread overview]

Daniel Colascione wrote:

>> what exactly is the failure scenario here? I'm not seeing any
>> failure scenarios for the current approach that can't also be failure
>> scenarios for the previous approach
>
> It's likely that the linker to lay out objects in a section identically in
> two different builds when the only difference between the builds is the
> content of an array.

Sure, but it's even more likely for linkers to lay out objects in a section
identically in two different builds when there is no difference whatsoever
between the inputs to the builds. So I'm still not seeing the failure scenario
for the current approach that wouldn't also be a failure scenario for the
previous (temacs.in) approach.

> If we're worried about the array being folded into
> the code, we can make it volatile.

That wouldn't be enough; we'd need the volatile accesses to memory under the
program's control being tricky enough (they aren't now) so that the compiler
couldn't optimize them away or reorder the array or whatever. Admittedly this is
getting a little theoretical (but then this particular point is pretty
theoretical anyway :-).

> If someone changes a linker flag that
> changes object ordering, temacs.in will change.

Right, but that can also affect temacs in the previous approach; that is,
temacs.in might be linked with different flags than temacs is. Or the linker
might be upgraded between the time that temacs.in is built, and the time that
temacs is built. So these failure scenarios apply to the previous approach too.

If we rely on a fingerprint we have to give up on the idea of an ironclad
guarantee that if the fingerprint matches, Emacs is compatible. We have to
settle for just a high-enough probability in practice.

We could document ways in which the low-probability events can occur (hash
collision, linker change that breaks reproducible builds, etc.). Or we could
change the pdumper so that it doesn't rely on a fingerprint: instead, Emacs
could record a complete description of what it's assuming in the dump file, and
check this description when it reads the dump back in. However, that'd be some
work and is almost surely overkill.