all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: postscript printing in emacs
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:13:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 21.06.2013 um 18:30 schrieb Rami A:

> But when trying to print I get this message:
> Searching for program: No such file or directory, mp | lp
>
> It is possible that ps-lpr-command expects the path of the printing program, not a command.

The documentation says:

	Documentation:
	Name of program for printing a PostScript file.

	On MS-DOS and MS-Windows systems, if the value is an empty string then Emacs
	will write directly to the printer port named by `ps-printer-name'.  The
	programs `print' and `nprint' (the standard print programs on Windows NT and
	Novell Netware respectively) are handled specially, using `ps-printer-name' as
	the destination for output; any other program is treated like `lpr' except that
	an explicit filename is given as the last argument.

This is in accordance with the variable's name. It appears in ps-print.el. Here is written in a comment:

	`ps-lpr-command' must name a program that does not format the files it prints.

Because the ps-print and ps-spool commands already produce PostScript. So you would have to use a simple print command. But lpr-command either does not allow to use a pipe. GNU Emacs seems to search for an executable file name with SPACEs and VERTICAL BAR (|). AFAIR mp allows to specify with -D or -P a printer queue to which its output is being sent. Why can't you use mp without ' | lpr'? And why aren't you experimenting in GNU Emacs with its own customisation interface? It allows to apply new settings just for this session – and to revert them! If a combination of settings finally works well you can save them, from each of the open *customisation* buffers, into your init file.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Real Time, adj.:
	Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.