all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Questions: classical X embedding, vc for Fossil
@ 2016-12-03  8:02 René Kuligowski
From: René Kuligowski @ 2016-12-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

To whom it may concern & Dear people,

two questions mar my enjoyment of Emacs:

– is it possible to use the VC interface with the Fossil system
(www.fossil-scm.org)?  Or, more specific, will support for Fossil be
added?  (and *no*, I am not going to switch to git or mercurial or back
to cvs for a *lot* of reasons…)

– asides from ImageMagick, FFMPEG ought to be a compilation option,
adding full integral media support (eg. for the embedded GTK3-Webbrowser
or emms).

– why is X embedding only implemented for GTK3 (and rudimentary at
that), not even for GTK2 or Athena/Xtk-Widgets?  Embedding has been
around for more than twenty years, as eg. FVWMButtons, XTerm, Tabbed, or
many other applications have been showing for a looong time.  It is
about darn time that Emacs gets *complete* X-embedding capability to
both be embedded in other apps and to embed other apps (eg. XTerm or
Ghostview) in itself.  To program that interface is not *that* hard,
mind you…

Regards,
from an otherwise quite content Emacs user,

René Kuligowski

* Re: Questions: classical X embedding, vc for Fossil
@ 2016-12-06 22:38 ` Richard Copley
       [not found]   ` <58493B42.9070203@alice-dsl.net>
From: Richard Copley @ 2016-12-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Kuligowski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 3 December 2016 at 08:02, René Kuligowski
<renekuligowski@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> To whom it may concern & Dear people,
>
> two questions mar my enjoyment of Emacs:
>
> – is it possible to use the VC interface with the Fossil system
> (www.fossil-scm.org)?  Or, more specific, will support for Fossil be added?
> (and *no*, I am not going to switch to git or mercurial or back to cvs for a
> *lot* of reasons…)

Yes, vc-fossil is available from MELPA. It mostly works; vc-fossil-diff is
missing an argument; as a temporary cludge you can add one and ignore
it:

-(defun vc-fossil-diff (files &optional rev1 rev2 buffer)
+(defun vc-fossil-diff (files &optional rev1 rev2 buffer async)

> – asides from ImageMagick, FFMPEG ought to be a compilation option, adding
> full integral media support (eg. for the embedded GTK3-Webbrowser or emms).

That's more of a feature request (M-x report-emacs-bug) than a question.
But then you did say two ...

> – why is X embedding only implemented for GTK3 (and rudimentary at that),
> not even for GTK2 or Athena/Xtk-Widgets?  Embedding has been around for more
> than twenty years, as eg. FVWMButtons, XTerm, Tabbed, or many other
> applications have been showing for a looong time.  It is about darn time
> that Emacs gets *complete* X-embedding capability to both be embedded in
> other apps and to embed other apps (eg. XTerm or Ghostview) in itself.  To
> program that interface is not *that* hard, mind you…

I don't know. Does it matter why? :)

@ 2016-12-08 11:20     ` René Kuligowski
From: René Kuligowski @ 2016-12-08 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Copley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Me again, Forgot one thing:

On 08.12.2016 09:51, René Kuligowski wrote:

(…)
> concerning the X-embedding: yes, it matters, in a way –– why embed an
> own DocView pane for DVI/PDF- and image-viewing, but staying there
> when it would be easy *and* make sense to do the same for the three
> browsers (w3, w3m, eww) to use the full capabilities of a graphical
> pane instead of a textual one.  IMHO the GTK3-Webkit-widget-embedding
> is sort of a short-circuited action without any sense or purpose and
> should have been replaced with native X pane/widget embedding.

…for, eg., an AuCTeX/syncTeX preview pane, an embedded xterm as
fully-capable shell launched by eshell-visual-command, using X-widgets
for customize, ses, etc.  The possibillities are almost endless.  Think
about it, it makes sense.

Again, best regards, ;-)

* Re: Questions: classical X embedding, vc for Fossil
@ 2016-12-08 19:58       ` Richard Copley
From: Richard Copley @ 2016-12-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Kuligowski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 8 December 2016 at 11:20, René Kuligowski
<renekuligowski@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Me again, Forgot one thing:
>
> On 08.12.2016 09:51, René Kuligowski wrote:
>
> (…)
>>
>> concerning the X-embedding: yes, it matters, in a way –– why embed an own
>> DocView pane for DVI/PDF- and image-viewing, but staying there when it would
>> be easy *and* make sense to do the same for the three browsers (w3, w3m,
>> eww) to use the full capabilities of a graphical pane instead of a textual
>> one.  IMHO the GTK3-Webkit-widget-embedding is sort of a short-circuited
>> action without any sense or purpose and should have been replaced with
>> native X pane/widget embedding.
>>
> …for, eg., an AuCTeX/syncTeX preview pane, an embedded xterm as
> fully-capable shell launched by eshell-visual-command, using X-widgets for
> customize, ses, etc.  The possibillities are almost endless.  Think about
> it, it makes sense.

Nope! Acronym salad. I can't make head nor tail of it. :)