all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems setting dired-listing-switches variable
@ 2007-04-11 11:42 Paul Batt
From: Paul Batt @ 2007-04-11 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd like to set the dired listing in such a way that all those filenames
starting with a point don't show up. But the ..-directory should be there,
otherwise I see no way to move along the directory tree. In the bash shell
ls-parameters -al --ignore='.??*' do exactly that. The --ignore part of the
parameter does not work however, when set to the dired-listing-switches
variable. Any help?
Thank you, Paul

* Re: Problems setting dired-listing-switches variable
@ 2007-04-11 12:01 ` Stein Arild Strømme
From: Stein Arild Strømme @ 2007-04-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Paul Batt]

| I'd like to set the dired listing in such a way that all those filenames
| starting with a point don't show up. But the ..-directory should be there,
| otherwise I see no way to move along the directory tree.

Try ^

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: Problems setting dired-listing-switches variable
@ 2007-04-11 12:52 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-11 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Batt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.04.2007 um 13:42 schrieb Paul Batt:

> I'd like to set the dired listing in such a way that all those
> filenames
> starting with a point don't show up. But the ..-directory should be
> there

ls -Al ?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
                      origin unknown

* Re: Problems setting dired-listing-switches variable
@ 2007-04-11 15:59   ` Paul Batt
From: Paul Batt @ 2007-04-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Stein Arild "Strømme"" <stromme@math.uib.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [Paul Batt]
>
> | I'd like to set the dired listing in such a way that all those filenames
> | starting with a point don't show up. But the ..-directory should be
> there,
> | otherwise I see no way to move along the directory tree.
>
> Try ^

Yes, that changes to the parent directory. Very helpful, tks.

Still I'd like to know why --ignore= or --hide= in (dired-listing-switches)
don't work. The emacs manual says they should.

@ 2007-04-11 22:07     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-11 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Batt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.04.2007 um 17:59 schrieb Paul Batt:

> Still I'd like to know why --ignore= or --hide= in (dired-listing-
> switches)
> don't work. The emacs manual says they should.

Could be you're trying to use setq or such to achieve the desired
effect? The correct way is via the customise interface, i.e. in the
end of ~/.emacs, starting with

	(custom-set-variables

you can add entries like

	 '(dired-listing-switches "-alN --ignore=PATTERN")

until a final

	)

is encountered. I have no idea what this PATTERN could look like, so
I had on the command line no success. You can find access to the
customise system by checking the value of the variable dired-listing-
switches.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

      _o    o         o   o
    _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
   (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

* Re: Problems setting dired-listing-switches variable
@ 2007-04-11 22:45 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-11 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Paul Batt" wrote:

> I'd like to set the dired listing in such a way that all those
> filenames starting with a point don't show up. But the ..-directory
> should be there, otherwise I see no way to move along the directory
> tree. In the bash shell ls-parameters -al --ignore='.??*' do exactly
> that. The --ignore part of the parameter does not work however, when
> set to the dired-listing-switches variable.

Firstly, use:

(setq dired-listing-switches "-al --ignore=.??*")

Note the absence of '' in the ignore argument. You use these in bash
to protect the argument from expansion by the shell before it is ever
seen by the ls program. When called from Emacs (via call-process),
this does not apply, so if you have '' they will be interpreted
literally.

Secondly, if you are on Windows, this might not work because Emacs
uses ls emulation in lisp, which does not understand all the same
switches as "real" ls. See the doc of the function insert-directory to
see which ls Emacs is using. See also the variable
ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program.

* Re: Problems setting dired-listing-switches variable
@ 2007-04-12 15:38   ` Paul Batt
From: Paul Batt @ 2007-04-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Glenn Morris" <rgm+news@stanford.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Firstly, use:
>
> (setq dired-listing-switches "-al --ignore=.??*")

Bingo! Thank you.
Paul