all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs "dumb" terminal question.
@ 2007-11-16  2:20 LeAnthony
       [not found] ` <mailman.3692.1195251433.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: LeAnthony @ 2007-11-16  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm access my emacs session via Putty on my windows machine.  Using
Bourne Shell, I start the emacs session.  I have slime set up in
my .emacs file.  I start slime and get e"macs: Terminal type "dumb" is
not powerful enough to run Emacs."   Can I even use slime via putty
access?

* Re: Emacs "dumb" terminal question.
@ 2007-11-16 22:17 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3692.1195251433.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-16 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LeAnthony; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.11.2007 um 03:20 schrieb LeAnthony:

> I start slime and get e"macs: Terminal type "dumb" is
> not powerful enough to run Emacs."

PuTTY can be considered an xterm emulation. So it might help to put
into your ~/.profile file something like

	TERM=`tset - -Q`
	export TERM

tset tries to determine in which terminal emulation it is running.
This is recorded in the TERM environment variable. GNU Emacs uses
this to determine whether it can run in this environment.

If this fails, then set in ~/.profile TERM to xterm or xterm-color
and export the variable when logged in via ssh/PuTTY.

--
Greetings

   Pete

IMBECILITY, n.  A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire
affecting censorious critics of this dictionary.
                    -- Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_

@ 2007-11-17 11:03   ` LeAnthony
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3711.1195307157.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: LeAnthony @ 2007-11-17 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I attempted the items below, I'm using BASH by the way.  Still getting
the not defined message when I attempt to start emacs.  tset--Q is not
defined.
When I change it to ANSI or VT100 emacs gives me the "dump" message
again"

@ 2007-11-17 13:45     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3711.1195307157.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-17 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LeAnthony; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.11.2007 um 12:03 schrieb LeAnthony:

> tset--Q is not defined.

It is not a string, but a command with two options. To write it a bit
differently:

	tset SPC - SPC -Q

The command

	man tset

again with at least one SPC can explain a bit.

> When I change it to ANSI or VT100 emacs gives me the "dump" message
> again"

How do you do that change? Did you read PuTTY's documentation? Does
it really support terminal emulations of type ``ANSI´´ or ``VT100´´?
In UNIX these names are usually lower case – and this case matters!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
                                -- George W. Bush

@ 2007-11-17 19:16       ` LeAnthony
From: LeAnthony @ 2007-11-17 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey Pete,
  Thanks for the help.  I guess I am having trouble understanding is
the problem on the PuTTY end or the hosted system end.  Would this
happen if I was using some type of other system.  I had assumed this
was on the unix side.
  So using putty to log into my hosted system.  I log in and type tset
-q and get "xterm" and tset -s gives "TERM=xterm".  So I think  that
emacs should be OK with this setting to run SLIME?  I run emacs and
start slime and get the same message.
"emacs: Terminal type dumb..."

When I set the TERM=ansi or TERM=vt100 and export TERM I get the same
error.

On the putty side, the setup in terminal details is xterm.  I'm at a
loss.

@ 2007-11-18 23:39         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-18 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LeAnthony; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.11.2007 um 20:16 schrieb LeAnthony:

> So I think  that
> emacs should be OK with this setting to run SLIME?  I run emacs and
> start slime and get the same message.
> "emacs: Terminal type dumb..."

I have no idea what slime is (a green jelly from childhood?) and what
it needs.

Since GNU Emacs reports "Terminal type dumb" it obviously has not
read the TERM environment variable. Or some ELisp code resets it to
the dumb value.

	(getenv "TERM")

in *scratch* buffer when evaluated (for example by C-j at the
statement's end) should write (echo, copy) into the buffer the value
of TERM from the environment GNU Emacs saw when it was launched from
it. You can try to cheat GNU Emacs with

	(setenv "TERM" "xterm")

applied in *scratch* buffer or from ~/.emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact
opposite.