all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs and ls with cygwin
@ 2010-04-12 23:33 Oren Cheyette
From: Oren Cheyette @ 2010-04-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 on Win32 (XP) with cygwin tcsh as the shell invoked by the "shell" command. I have this setup on several computers bought and set up at different times, and most recently I'm finding that the command "ls" produces garbage output full of control characters, like this:
[0m[01;34mMy Documents[0m
[01;34mNotes[0m
[01;32mTestingrecycle.doc[0m
[01;34mWINDOWS[0m

I see nothing in any of the faq's about how to deal with this. Suggestions?

* Re: emacs and ls with cygwin
@ 2010-04-13  5:43 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-04-13  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oren Cheyette; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oren Cheyette <ocheyette@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 on Win32 (XP) with cygwin tcsh as the shell
> invoked by the "shell" command. I have this setup on several computers bought
> and set up at different times, and most recently I'm finding that the command
> "ls" produces garbage output full of control characters, like this:
> [0m[01;34mMy Documents[0m
> [01;34mNotes[0m
> [01;32mTestingrecycle.doc[0m
> [01;34mWINDOWS[0m
>
> I see nothing in any of the faq's about how to deal with this. Suggestions?

Hi Oren,

The control characters are to do with creating coloured output of ls.
If you create a file in your home directory containing shell commands
called ~/.emacs_tcsh, then emacs shell will execute those commands when
it sets up the shell environment. So you want to put commands in there
which ensure that ls uses the --color=never option (or --color=none, or
whatever it is on your system). I don't use tcsh, but something like

alias ls 'ls --color=never'

Also note that people sometimes put special control characters in their
prompts, so you may also want to set the value of $PS1 and $PS2 in
~/.emacs_tcsh.

Dan

* Re: emacs and ls with cygwin
@ 2010-04-13  8:41 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oren Cheyette; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.04.2010 um 01:33 schrieb Oren Cheyette:

> I'm finding that the command "ls" produces garbage output full of
> control characters

This is no garbage! It's ANSI Esc sequence codes to colourise GNU ls'
output. Such switch this behaviour in ls off or use an ANSI compliant
terminal emulation (for example via M-x term RET).

I think since GNU Emacs 23.1 the *shell* buffer is able to "execute"
these codes. Maybe you just need to activate this ability:

	(ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

Check the documentation!

--
Greetings

   Pete

If all else fails read the instructions.
				- Donald Knuth

* Re: emacs and ls with cygwin
@ 2010-04-13  8:46   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-13  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Oren Cheyette, help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.04.2010 um 07:43 schrieb Dan Davison:

> Also note that people sometimes put special control characters in
> their
> prompts, so you may also want to set the value of $PS1 and $PS2 in
> ~/.emacs_tcsh.

Their behaviour can be quite well emulated via the customised variable
comint-highlight-prompt and setting the prompt for the shell...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?

* Re: emacs and ls with cygwin
@ 2010-04-13  9:00   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-04-13  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 13.04.2010 um 01:33 schrieb Oren Cheyette:
>
>> I'm finding that the command "ls" produces garbage output full of
>> control characters
>

> This is no garbage! It's ANSI Esc sequence codes to colourise GNU ls'
> output. Such switch this behaviour in ls off or use an ANSI compliant
> terminal emulation (for example via M-x term RET).
>
> I think since GNU Emacs 23.1 the *shell* buffer is able to "execute"
> these codes. Maybe you just need to activate this ability:
>
> 	(ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 23.2 of Emacs.

It is the default now, so with last Emacs versions, no need to enable
it.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: emacs and ls with cygwin
@ 2010-04-23  8:28 ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-04-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oren Cheyette; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oren Cheyette <ocheyette@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 on Win32 (XP) with cygwin tcsh as the shell
> invoked by the "shell" command. I have this setup on several computers bought

I have found ansi-term to be much better than shell in general.

--
PMatos