all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trouble setting default font and window size
@ 2016-07-28  5:18 Ron House
From: Ron House @ 2016-07-28  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to set a particular font and default window size, but I run
into a problem. I get the font I want, but when emacs starts, just as it
starts, before it sets the required font, it momentarily uses a larger
font. The window size I ask for uses the entire screen height, so that
larger font causes emacs to ignore my screen size request and use a much
smaller, standard screen size.

So I am having to specify a smaller size than I want so that the larger
font only just fits the screen, but then my reduced window when the
correct font takes over is smaller than I want.

I start emacs with:

emacs -i -geometry 85x64 <<< I really want 99x60 here.

My .emacs contains the following lines related to font settings:

(custom-set-faces
   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil
:strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight
normal :height 90 :width normal :foundry "bitstream" :family "Bitstream
Vera Sans Mono"))))
  '(header-line ((((class color grayscale) (background light)) (:inherit
mode-line :background "grey90" :foreground "grey20" :box nil :height 0.5
:width condensed))))
  '(mouse ((t (:background "black")))))

This is the font I want, but emacs starts up with some other font. Can
that be changed?

--
Ron House
Building Peace: http://peacelegacy.org

* Re: Trouble setting default font and window size
@ 2016-07-28  8:58 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2016-07-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhouse; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I am trying to set a particular font and default window size, but I run into a problem. I get the font I want, but when emacs starts, just as it starts, before it sets the required font, it momentarily uses a larger font. The window size I ask for uses the entire screen height, so that larger font causes emacs to ignore my screen size request and use a much smaller, standard screen size.
 >

 > So I am having to specify a smaller size than I want so that the larger font only just fits the screen, but then my reduced window when the correct font takes over is smaller than I want.
 >

 > I start emacs with:
 >
 > emacs -i -geometry 85x64 <<< I really want 99x60 here.
 >
 > My .emacs contains the following lines related to font settings:
 >
 > (custom-set-faces
 >   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 >   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 >   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 >   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 >
 > '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 90 :width normal :foundry "bitstream" :family "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono")))) '(header-line ((((class color grayscale) (background light)) (:inherit mode-line :background "grey90" :foreground "grey20" :box nil :height 0.5 :width condensed))))
 >
 >  '(mouse ((t (:background "black")))))
 >
 > This is the font I want, but emacs starts up with some other font. Can that be changed?

This looks like the problem discussed in a thread called

"Note on e65c307 breaks font-height"

on emacs-devel.  Have a look.

To handle it I currently use brute force via

(defalias 'dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event 'ignore)

in my .emacs.

martin

* Re: Trouble setting default font and window size
@ 2016-07-29  6:14 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2016-07-29  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhouse; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > > (defalias 'dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event 'ignore)
 >
 > doesn't seem to do anything.
 >
 > > "Note on e65c307 breaks font-height"
 >
 > Could be. The problem seems to be that the window is displayed before .emacs is processed, so some built-in default is used and then, after that has messed things up, .emacs is applied to the messed up display.

I was referring only to your earlier statement:

 > (custom-set-faces
 >   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 >   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 >   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 >   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 >
 > '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 90 :width normal :foundry "bitstream" :family "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono")))) '(header-line ((((class color grayscale) (background light)) (:inherit mode-line :background "grey90" :foreground "grey20" :box nil :height 0.5 :width condensed))))
 >
 >  '(mouse ((t (:background "black")))))
 >
 > This is the font I want, but emacs starts up with some other font. Can that be changed?

You didn't tell us which version of Emacs you're using so I can't even
tell whether ‘dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event’ really does
something on your system.  In any case, I would start out disregarding
the window size problem and getting the right font first.  Fixing the
frame/window size afterwards should be straightforward.

martin