all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Ron House <rhouse@smartchat.net.au>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Trouble setting default font and window size
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:09:03 +1000	[thread overview]

On 29/07/16 01:30, HASM wrote:

>> Last, you can use ~/.Xresources to move a lot of that stuff from the
>> Emacs init files and also from the invocation command-line arguments.
>
> I push this into my xrdb:
> Emacs*geometry:   100x50
> Emacs.menuBar:              off
> Emacs.toolBar:              off
> Emacs.horizontalScrollBars: off
> Emacs.verticalScrollBars:   off
> Emacs.background:           #304060
> Emacs.foreground:           white
> Emacs.Font: "-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-m-110-iso8859-15"

I tried this, but got inexplicable errors - despite xlsfonts showing my
font, it nevertheless claimed it was a nonexistent font when I started
emacs. It's not worth spending more time on this, but I did discover one
important fact that someone working on emacs might or might not be
interested in:

My earlier speculation about the timing of the bug was wrong. All the
mis-scaling occurs in processing the single setup line:

(custom-set-faces
  '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil
:strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight
normal :height 90 :width normal :foundry "bitstream" :family "Bitstream
Vera Sans Mono"))))

When that default line is in, all the wrong stuff happens, without it,
none of it does. So it seems that instead of changing all the specs and
then redisplaying, emacs is changing some settings, displaying, then
changing some more and displaying again, instead of changing all
settings and displaying only once.

Pity it wasn't a simple fix, but thanks to all for your time and effort!

--
Ron House
Building Peace: http://peacelegacy.org