On 2016-07-15 15:35, Stefan Monnier wrote: >>> Before trying it, can you please offer some motivation for why we want this >>> change? That would help us in reading it. >> For NS, this is a no-op. >> For others, this addresses the cases where tooltips are 'first-class' >> frames in Emacs terms (--with-x-toolkit={no,lucid,motif}, MS Windows, >> GTK[23] builds when 'x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' is nil). The goal was >> to avoid tricky global variables and (hopefully) to reduce overall >> complexity of the relevant code. > > I'm completely unfamiliar with this code so can't say anything > intelligent about that change (and don't have any opinion whether it's > good or not). > > But it does ring a bell here: for company-mode's popup menus, we'd want > to be able to create non-toolkit popup frames, even if Emacs was built > with support for toolkit popup frames. I can't say anything about the patch either, but something confuses me a bit: why does displaying non-toolkit popups require so much C code? If we just extracted the ability to create chrome-less frames from that code, couldn't all the rest be written in Lisp? I tried to do this and got things semi-working with Eli's help, but then got confused about what had to be done for it to work on Windows as well. Clément.