all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, GNU Emacs List <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: desktop-save problems
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:49:24 -0400	[thread overview]

On 06/15/2016 11:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 18:40:58 -0400
>>
>> First, I can save a listing (sort of*) by running "desktop-save" and
>> then follow the prompt to select a directory.  I always select
>> ~/.emacs.d/ on the local machine.  Is there some way I can configure
>> desktop-save to always save to this same directory-- and on the local
>> machine-- and not prompt me each time?  If there is no configuration for
>> this, is it relatively easy to edit the code to accomplish this?
> The way I do it is turn on desktop-save-mode, then Emacs will save the
> desktop when I exit automatically.

This means that the desktop isn't saved when the system crashes, e.g.,
the power suddenly goes out, yes?

Also, in my emacs (24.3.1) I'm always prompted for the directory to save
the desktop in.  Is there a way to specify one directory where the
desktop is saved so I don't have this prompt come up?

>> Second, is there a way for "desktop-save" to be run programmatically
>> whenever I open a new file/buffer or kill a buffer?
> In a new enough version of Emacs, the desktop is periodically saved
> even when no buffer is killed.

Which version is "new enough"?

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for desktop-save to work when file or
buffer is opened or closed?

>> *Third, when I use tramp to open a buffer from a remote machine and then
>> do "desktop-save" etc., that buffer name is written into the session
>> file after "(setq file-name-history" but not under ";; Buffer section";
>> that is, it isn't given a "(desktop-create-buffer" section in the
>> session file.  Consequently, when I next time start emacs, none of the
>> buffers opened with tramp previous session are opened.
> Please report this as a bug with a recipe starting from "emacs -Q",
> and all the relevant details.

Did this.

  Thanks.