all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs is lying to me, or curly quotes strike again
@ 2016-07-07 12:54 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-07-07 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hi all,

Here's a snippet from a *Help* buffer for JSX-IDE mode:

JSX-IDE mode defined in ‘js2-mode.el’:
Major mode for editing JSX code.

To customize the indentation for this mode, set the SGML offset
variables (‘sgml-basic-offset’ et al) locally, like so:

  (defun set-jsx-indentation ()
    (setq-local sgml-basic-offset js2-basic-offset))
  (add-hook ’js2-jsx-mode-hook #’set-jsx-indentation)

While I do understand that I could toggle some switch to turn off these
retarded curly quotes, but a CODE SNIPPET in a HELP BUFFER should be
COPY-PASTEABLE BY DEFAULT.  (I'm sorry for my angry tone, but this is
yet another case of curly quotes causing problems, and giving NOTHING in
return.  And so many people warned about this - and yet this buggy
behavior was made the default...)

I'm on GNU Emacs 25.1.50.3 (commit debd49b).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University