all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#17344: 24.3.90; REGRESSION: tooltip semi-transparent in *Completions*
@ 2014-04-25  4:43 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-04-25  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17344

I think this is the same bug as #16619, which we closed because it
seemed fixed.  However, I never checked the appearance of tooltip
frames in *Completions*, since I normally do not use tooltips.

The behavior I notice now concerns only tooltip frames - specifically
tooltips shown on completion candidates in buffer *Completions*: those
tooltips are semi-transparent.  I do not see the problem with tooltips
elsewhere.

Please see bug #16619 for background and context.  This is with my
setup.  The regression started with Emacs 23.1 - there is no problem
with Emacs 22.

And just as for what was noticed during the bug #16619 thread, if I set
`frame-alpha-lower-limit' to 100 instead of the default value of 20 then
the problem disappears.

(Of course, I do not want to do that in general, and this is for code
that other users will use - I cannot expect them to tweak
`frame-alpha-lower-limit'.  IOW, that workaround might help you
understand the problem and possibly find a solution, but it is not,
itself, a solution.)

Note that in my setup, *Completions* is a separate frame, and its input
is redirected to my standalone minibuffer frame.  Dunno whether this is
pertinent, but it might help to know it.

Please see bug thread #16619, which apparently isolates the commit that
introduced that regression.  (I'm guessing that that regression has been
only partly fixed and this report is about the same problem.)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-04-12 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

* bug#17344: 24.3.90; REGRESSION: tooltip semi-transparent in *Completions*
@ 2014-04-28 18:10 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-04-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17344

Some more info about this regression:

(I cannot get a screen capture to show you, because my screen-capture
tool does not capture tooltips.)

If I give another, non-Emacs window-manager window the focus (by clicking
its title bar) then the mouseover tooltip in the *Completions* frame is OK
(normal, not transparent).

And, as I think I said earlier, if I give the minibuffer frame the focus,
same thing: the tooltip is normal, not transparent.  But if I give any other
Emacs frame the focus (including frame *Completions*), e.g., by clicking its
title bar, then the tooltip in *Completions* is transparent.

Note that typically some other frame has the input focus when the minibuffer
is activated, and it keeps the focus during use of the minibuffer.

I'm not real clear on the terminology, however.  Suppose I click the title
bar of a Dired frame or a frame for *Messages*.  Then if I do, say, `M-x',
the minibuffer becomes active and it accepts input.  But it its title bar
is not colored to show that it has the focus - the Dired or whatever frame
that had the focus still has it, as judged by its title bar.

So what kind of focus is this, since typing input puts it in the minibuffer?
The minibuffer frame does not have the "focus", but input goes to it.  (And
a call to `select-frame-set-input-focus' for the minibuffer frame does
change its title bar, "focusing" it, and even after the minibuffer is exited
the minibuffer frame then still has that focus.)

* bug#17344: 24.3.90; REGRESSION: tooltip semi-transparent in *Completions*
@ 2015-07-04  8:47 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2015-07-04  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, 17344-done

 > In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 >   of 2014-04-12 on LEG570
 > Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
 > Configured using:
 >   `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

Shoud be fixed for Emacs 25.  Please check as soon as you get new
binaries.

Thanks, martin

* bug#17344: 24.3.90; REGRESSION: tooltip semi-transparent in *Completions*
@ 2015-07-04 14:52   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-07-04 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics, 17344-done

> Shoud be fixed for Emacs 25.  Please check as soon as you get new
> binaries.

Yes, it does seem to be fixed.  (Thanks to Dani, I was able to get
a very recent binary.)

Thanks for fixing this!