all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-09  7:27 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-06-09  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

eww comes with a command "eww-list-buffers" - however, seems to exist
only one hard-coded "*eww*" buffer at time.

Is there a way to open different "*eww MY FYLE*" buffers in parallel?

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-09 10:39 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2016-06-09 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> eww comes with a command "eww-list-buffers" - however, seems to exist
> only one hard-coded "*eww*" buffer at time.
>
> Is there a way to open different "*eww MY FYLE*" buffers in parallel?

Well, there's

,----[ C-h f eww-browse-url RET ]
| eww-browse-url is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
|
| (eww-browse-url URL &optional NEW-WINDOW)
|
| Not documented.
`----

which can open a new buffer.  And that's used by

,----[ C-h f eww-follow-link RET ]
| eww-follow-link is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
|
| (eww-follow-link &optional EXTERNAL MOUSE-EVENT)
|
| Browse the URL under point.
| If EXTERNAL is single prefix, browse the URL using ‘shr-external-browser’.
| If EXTERNAL is double prefix, browse in new buffer.
`----

So you'd usually start with one eww buffer and then follow links with
`C-u C-u RET' which would create a new buffer for the referenced link.

But you're right.  It seems quite strange to me that you can't call
`eww' itself with a prefix arg to make it open a new buffer...

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-09 10:55   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-06-09 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> eww comes with a command "eww-list-buffers" - however, seems to exist
>> only one hard-coded "*eww*" buffer at time.
>>
>> Is there a way to open different "*eww MY FYLE*" buffers in parallel?
>
> Well, there's
>
> ,----[ C-h f eww-browse-url RET ]
> | eww-browse-url is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
> |
> | (eww-browse-url URL &optional NEW-WINDOW)
> |
> | Not documented.
> `----
>
> which can open a new buffer.  And that's used by
>
> ,----[ C-h f eww-follow-link RET ]
> | eww-follow-link is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
> |
> | (eww-follow-link &optional EXTERNAL MOUSE-EVENT)
> |
> | Browse the URL under point.
> | If EXTERNAL is single prefix, browse the URL using ‘shr-external-browser’.
> | If EXTERNAL is double prefix, browse in new buffer.
> `----
>
> So you'd usually start with one eww buffer and then follow links with
> `C-u C-u RET' which would create a new buffer for the referenced link.
>
> But you're right.  It seems quite strange to me that you can't call
> `eww' itself with a prefix arg to make it open a new buffer...

Another thing, in Fx you can middle click to open in a new tab.  It might
make sense to have something similar.  Either with the mouse button or
C-RET for new tab and RET for current tab.  It should be pretty easy to
add...

Rasmus

--
Human: An animal that complicates things more than strictly necessary

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-09 14:24   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-06-09 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09.06.2016 12:39, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> eww comes with a command "eww-list-buffers" - however, seems to exist
>> only one hard-coded "*eww*" buffer at time.
>>
>> Is there a way to open different "*eww MY FYLE*" buffers in parallel?
> Well, there's
>
> ,----[ C-h f eww-browse-url RET ]
> | eww-browse-url is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
> |
> | (eww-browse-url URL &optional NEW-WINDOW)
> |
> | Not documented.
> `----
>
> which can open a new buffer.  And that's used by
>
> ,----[ C-h f eww-follow-link RET ]
> | eww-follow-link is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
> |
> | (eww-follow-link &optional EXTERNAL MOUSE-EVENT)
> |
> | Browse the URL under point.
> | If EXTERNAL is single prefix, browse the URL using ‘shr-external-browser’.
> | If EXTERNAL is double prefix, browse in new buffer.
> `----
>
> So you'd usually start with one eww buffer and then follow links with
> `C-u C-u RET' which would create a new buffer for the referenced link.
>
> But you're right.  It seems quite strange to me that you can't call
> `eww' itself with a prefix arg to make it open a new buffer...
>
> HTH,
> Tassilo

Hmm, eww-browse-url isn't designed as command.

When looking at, it seems to use the very same buffer too.

(defun eww-browse-url (url &optional new-window)
   (when new-window
     (pop-to-buffer-same-window (generate-new-buffer "*eww*"))
     (eww-mode))

;;;

Maybe worth a feature request?

Thanks all,

Andreas

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-09 14:31     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-06-09 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using this snippet from ergoemacs,org and it has been working
great for me:

    ;; Auto-rename new eww buffers
    ;; http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_eww_web_browser.html
    (defun xah-rename-eww-hook ()
      "Rename eww browser's buffer so sites open in new page."
      (rename-buffer "eww" t))
    (add-hook 'eww-mode-hook #'xah-rename-eww-hook)

--
Kaushal Modi

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-10 14:57     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-06-10 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> When looking at, it seems to use the very same buffer too.
>
> (defun eww-browse-url (url &optional new-window)
>   (when new-window
>     (pop-to-buffer-same-window (generate-new-buffer "*eww*"))
>     (eww-mode))

No, it doesn't, see the doc of `generate-new-buffer'.

Michael.

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-13  8:21       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-06-13  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10.06.2016 16:57, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
>> When looking at, it seems to use the very same buffer too.
>>
>> (defun eww-browse-url (url &optional new-window)
>>    (when new-window
>>      (pop-to-buffer-same-window (generate-new-buffer "*eww*"))
>>      (eww-mode))
> No, it doesn't, see the doc of `generate-new-buffer'.
>

> Michael.

Right, thanks. So that way it numerates buffers given C-u:

(defun ar-eww (&optional new-buffer)
   (interactive "P")
   (let ((erg (read-from-minibuffer "Url: ")))
     (eww-browse-url erg new-buffer)))

* Re: eww - multiple buffers
@ 2016-06-13  8:55       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-06-13  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here is a eww-browse-url based hack, displaying the initials of visited
URL in buffer-name

(defun ar--compose-buffer-name-initials (liste)
   (let (erg)
     (dolist (ele liste)
       (unless (string= "" ele)
     (setq erg (concat erg (char-to-string (aref ele 0))))))
     erg))

(defun ar-eww-browse-url (url &optional new-window)
   (when new-window
     (if (stringp new-window)
     (set-buffer (get-buffer-create (concat "*eww " new-window "*")))
       (pop-to-buffer-same-window (generate-new-buffer "*eww*")))
     (eww-mode))
   (eww url))

(defun ar-eww (&optional new-buffer)
   (interactive "P")
   (let* ((erg (read-from-minibuffer "Url: "))
      (acronym (ar--compose-buffer-name-initials (split-string
(substring erg (ignore-errors (1+ (string-match "www\\." erg))))
     (if (eq 4 (prefix-numeric-value new-buffer))
     (ar-eww-browse-url erg acronym)
       (ar-eww-browse-url erg))))