all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#8065: Nexstep/Cocoa Emacs 23.2 hangs randomly on OSX
@ 2011-02-17 18:34 Jonathan Rogers
From: Jonathan Rogers @ 2011-02-17 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 8065

I use GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.6.0, NS
apple-appkit-1038.35) built by the Macports package emacs-app @23.2.

All Emacs frames frequently becomes unresponsive and no commands can be
executed. Cursors appear as hollow boxes as if the window is unfocused.
Any click on a frame generates an OSX beep noise. C-g and all other
keypresses are totally ignored.

Strangely, the menus continue to open and commands can be selected,
though they mostly have no effect. The only menu commands that seem to
have any effect are the Emacs -> Hide Emacs and Emacs -> Hide Others
commands. This would seem to indicate that though some part of the
Nextstep GUI is still working, the main Emacs loop is not or it has
become disconnected from the GUI.

In this state, Emacs takes very little CPU time. The only way I can
cause Emacs to end when it's in this state is to use OSX's "Force quit"
or Unix command like kill or pkill.

Though I find Emacs in this state frequently, it's triggered very
intermittently and I haven't determined a clear pattern. Sometimes, I
can use it with no hangs for several hours, but it generally happens at
least once a day.

It may be related to switching between Emacs and other applications or
running subprocesses. I have encountered it several times when running a
command in Magit, which runs git as a subprocess, but the same commands
usually succeed. Other sub-processes, such as Bash and ack seem to have
no trouble.
--
Jonathan Ross Rogers