On 2016-05-28 14:18, Stefan Monnier wrote: >> be broken by future upstream fixes. One such solution is to statically >> generate my autoloads (using code similar to the one you posted) and ship >> these as part of my package, while adding an autoloaded form to a new file >> in my content directory that just loads the additional autoloads file that >> I ship. This isn't very pretty, though. > > The other option is to split your package into several packages. Interesting, thanks Stefan! The context in which this comes up is ‘realgud’, a rewrite of gud that supports about 15 debuggers out of the box. I don't think it would be too great to split this into 15 packages. I think I'll push an implementation of my suggestion above. I included a draft below; I'd be very happy to hear comments about it :) IOW, assuming I manually generate autoloads using the following snippet: (defun realgud-refresh-subdirectory-autoloads () "Update subdirectory-autoloads.el. This is needed because the package.el infrastructure doesn't process autoloads in subdirectories; instead we create an additional autoloads file of our own, and we load it from an autoloaded form." (interactive) (let ((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name realgud-subdir-autoloads-name realgud-content-dir))) (when (file-exists-p generated-autoload-file) (delete-file generated-autoload-file)) (dolist (name (directory-files-recursively realgud-content-dir "" t)) (when (file-directory-p name) (update-directory-autoloads name))))) Then would it be enough to put the following in a file that lives in the package's root directory? ;;;###autoload (defconst realgud-subdir-autoloads-name "subdirectory-autoloads.el") ;;;###autoload (defconst realgud-content-dir (file-name-directory (or (and load-in-progress load-file-name) (bound-and-true-p byte-compile-current-file) buffer-file-name))) ;;;###autoload (with-demoted-errors "Error loading autoloads: %s" (load (expand-file-name realgud-subdir-autoloads-name realgud-content-dir) t t)) (btw, is there a more concise way of writing realgud-content-directory?) Thanks! Clément.