On 2016-04-24 02:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Cc: 23341@debbugs.gnu.org >> From: Clément Pit--Claudel >> Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 18:33:13 -0400 >> >> As a user, I would like to have a way to globally configure how long tooltips produced by Emacs are displayed. >> At the moment, Emacs does not provide such a default. tooltip-hide-delay is close, but it does not cover all tooltips. >> >> As a user, I don't like it to have to customize every package that use tooltips to just to ensure a consistent default. > > I understand, thanks. But to me, such a global value makes very > little sense, because tooltips can be used for many different features > that don't necessary display short helpful text. Having a single > value for all the possible use cases is IMO not a good customization > design, as it can never be a "one fits all" value anyway. In that case, I don't understand why we have tooltip-hide-delay as a customizable variable, nor why the hide delay is an optional argument to x-show-tip. But in any case, I don't think wasting Martin's or your time further is warranted; I don't want to distract the two of you from other more valuable implementation tasks, so I'll abandon this suggestion. Clément.