all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pari.el : Process stty in windows ?
@ 2016-03-15  9:57 Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2016-03-15  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

   [I posted this message on comp.emacs yesterday but this forum seems
much more active]

   In pari.el under unix/linux, I use the following function:

(defun gp-get-shell (process-name process-buffer-name cmd)
     "Explicit. Aimed at command gp+parameters."
     (let ((process-environment (copy-sequence process-environment)))
       (setenv "TERM"    "emacs")
       (setenv "PAGER"   "cat")
       (setenv "LINES"   "1000")
       (setenv "COLUMNS" (number-to-string (window-width)))
       (start-process process-name process-buffer-name
                      shell-file-name
                      shell-command-switch
                      (concat "stty -echo onlret; " cmd))))

with cmd = "/usr/bin/gp -s 10000000 -p 500000 --emacs" for instance.

Windows even with gnuwin32 complains quite a lot.
It seems that stty exists but "onlret" is unknown and the ";" does not
seem to be recognized.

As a matter of fact I am the maintainer of pariemacs, but I have only
unix at work/home and don't know nothing about windows. it worked well
for a long time until recently I had a user from the windows world
trying to get everything to work. The script editing work, only calling
gp in an inferior shell bugs.

The error message says that "onlret;" is an invalid argument of stty
(notice the ";").
If we remove the stty part, gp is indeed called but dies with a gentle
"Goodbye !" (without the prompt even to be seen).

I'm hard put to correct such a thing. So if anyone has an idea, I'll
edit it for my user. I guess such a patch would be very useful for many
others, so I'll publish it, though I'm definitely no friend of windows --

Many thanks in advance,
Best, Olivier