all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* XML mode with XSD schema support?
@ 2008-06-18  6:26 Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2008-06-18  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm looking for a mode to edit XML files according to a XSD schema
referenced inside the file. These files contain a line like this:

<ConfigurationItems xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="myschema.xsd">

The only mode i found was nXMLMode. It is very comfortable but it
supports only Relax NG schemas. :(

Steffen

* RE: XML mode with XSD schema support?
@ 2008-06-18 13:27 ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13506.1213798474.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-06-18 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steffen Sledz', help-gnu-emacs

> I'm looking for a mode to edit XML files according to a XSD schema
> referenced inside the file. These files contain a line like this:
>
> <ConfigurationItems xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
> instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="myschema.xsd">
>
> The only mode i found was nXMLMode. It is very comfortable but it
> supports only Relax NG schemas. :(

I too would like this. Much of what we do with XML at Oracle uses XML
Schema-based XML data.

* Re: XML mode with XSD schema support?
@ 2008-06-18 14:13   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13506.1213798474.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-18 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'Steffen Sledz', help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> I'm looking for a mode to edit XML files according to a XSD schema
>> referenced inside the file. These files contain a line like this:
>>
>> <ConfigurationItems xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
>> instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="myschema.xsd">
>>
>> The only mode i found was nXMLMode. It is very comfortable but it
>> supports only Relax NG schemas. :(
>
> I too would like this. Much of what we do with XML at Oracle uses XML
> Schema-based XML data.

Is Trang something that can help?

   http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

@ 2008-06-18 14:32     ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2008-06-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 18 Jun., 16:13, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Trang something that can help?
>
>    http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

If i take a look at http://www.postneo.com/2007/01/16/all-i-want-to-do-is-convert-my-schema
i don't think so. It seems to be a hard way to convert the schema.

And i'm not really interested in converting the schema. E.g. if one
would do this, one would lose the reference info to the schema from
within the XML file. :(

@ 2008-06-18 16:17     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-06-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman (gmail)'; +Cc: 'Steffen Sledz', help-gnu-emacs

> > I too would like this. Much of what we do with XML at
> > Oracle uses XML Schema-based XML data.
>
> Is Trang something that can help?
>    http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

No, I don't believe so. I tried to use it once, and gave up - YMMV. It's XML
Schema support that I'm looking for, not conversion from XML Schema to Relax NG.

* Re: XML mode with XSD schema support?
       [not found] <a66d40e5-2c67-4768-a9a9-8fa29ef29d79@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-06-18 19:35 ` joseito
From: joseito @ 2008-06-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 18 Cze, 13:04, Steffen Sledz <sl...@zone42.org> wrote:
(...)
> The only mode i found was nXMLMode. It is very comfortable but it
> supports only Relax NG schemas. :(

Almost always it's possible to transform XSD into RNC. I have set up
myself a tool-chain for doing it using java, rngconv, trang and the
following shell script:

--- cut here: begin --------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash

if [ $# = 0 ]; then
    echo "Usage: rnc /path/to/XSD/schema/to/convert/to/RNC"
    exit 1
fi
if [ ! -f $1 ]; then
    echo "No such file: $1"
    exit 2
fi

DIR=`echo $0 | sed -e "s/[^/]*$//"`
FILE="$DIR../`echo $1 | awk -F/ '{print $NF}' | cut -d. -f1`.rnc"

if [ -f $FILE ]; then
    echo "ERROR: File exists: $FILE"
    exit 3
fi

CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$DIR

java -jar $DIR/rngconv.jar $1 > $DIR/fifo | java -jar $DIR/trang.jar -
I rng -O rnc $DIR/fifo $FILE

if [ -f $FILE ]; then
    echo "OK: New RNC schema saved as $FILE"
else
    echo "ERROR: Errors found, see stderr for details"
fi

--- cut here: end --------------------------------------

If you put this together with all the java dependencies in a directory
~/rnc/conv, you can execute it from anywhere inside your filesystem
and you get the converted schema in ~/rnc.

Good luck :)
--
José A. Romero L.
joseito (at) poczta (dot) onet (dot) pl

* Re: XML mode with XSD schema support?
@ 2008-06-20  6:28   ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2008-06-20  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 18 Jun., 21:35, jose...@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
> Almost always it's possible to transform XSD into RNC. I have set up
> myself a tool-chain for doing it using java, rngconv, trang and the
> following shell script:

As Lennart mentioned before we're not looking for a conversion method
from XML Schema to Relax NG but for native XML Schema support in
Emacs.

* Re: XML mode with XSD schema support?
@ 2008-06-20  6:43     ` joseito
From: joseito @ 2008-06-20  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20 Cze, 08:28, Steffen Sledz <sl...@zone42.org> wrote:
> On 18 Jun., 21:35, jose...@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
>
> As Lennart mentioned before we're not looking for a conversion method
> from XML Schema to Relax NG but for native XML Schema support in
> Emacs.

Better luck, then :) If you find (or write yourself) something please
let us know - I'm sure there's a lot of people interested in having
it.

Cheers,
 --

@ 2008-06-25  8:00       ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2008-06-25  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20 Jun., 08:43, jose...@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
> Better luck, then :) If you find (or write yourself) something please
> let us know - I'm sure there's a lot of people interested in having
> it.

Is there really no solution in emacs for my problem?

I'm shocked. Must i really switch to vi after lots of years?  ;-)